Wewelsburg Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that is the place.

Well, to book, either walk in and ask for a room or call.

Telefon: 0 29 55 / 7 95 27
    Fax: 0 29 55 / 7 95 28
    Iam Uncle Sam
    That’s who Iam
    Been hiding out
    In a rock and roll band

Comment

Originally posted by münster View Post
      Yes, that is the place.

Well, to book, either walk in and ask for a room or call.

Telefon: 0 29 55 / 7 95 27
      Fax: 0 29 55 / 7 95 28
      looks a spooky places my wife thinks it's scary lol
      but we are only in are 20s

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ironcross13 View Post
        okay, yes staying in a room with strangers is not nice i will be looking for a hotel near by.

also i seen Extensteine is close on the 1st of november for winter
        There are private rooms - my Wife and I shared ours with no one else. Truth be told, we even had the entire castle to ourselves for a few nights - after the Manager of the Youth Hostel went home for the evening. Not too many people know about the Hostel . . . so I get the feeling it's not always populated. Just remember - it is a Hostel . . . but a very nice one. Certainly no "Carlton Ritz", if that is what you want . . . And there are "school events" held there often - so check first, and be prepared for what's in store!

The alte Muhle is a nice place - with a spectacular view . . . and the lady that runs it is very friendly as well [but know your German, as she does not know English]. This is also a very good choice. You will get more of the B&B feel here . . . but you only get to drink beer at the alte Muhle, and stare UP at the Wewelsberg at night . . . while others get to drink beer at the Wewelsberg, and stare DOWN at the alte Muhle!

There is much to see and do in the area . . . remnants of Niederhagen can be found, SS Officer homes are still there [as well as Herrman Bartel's villa, which is now a Church], Externsteine [sorry it's out-of-season], hexenturms, Bodekken, Hermannsdenkmahl, remnants of Wehrmacht training facilities near Paderborn, cycling trails . . . it goes on and on.

There is certainly a lot more to see and do there - the answer to your question, depends on what you want to do . . . Look at a map, and "Google" a little. And for "kicks", here's an old thread you might find curious:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699460
        Last edited by N.C. Wyeth; 10-26-2015, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
          There are private rooms - my Wife and I shared ours with no one else. Truth be told, we even had the entire castle to ourselves for a few nights - after the Manager of the Youth Hostel went home for the evening. Not too many people know about the Hostel . . . so I get the feeling it's not always populated. Just remember - it is a Hostel . . . but a very nice one. Certainly no "Carlton Ritz", if that is what you want . . . And there are "school events" held there often - so check first, and be prepared for what's in store!

The alte Muhle is a nice place - with a spectacular view . . . and the lady that runs it is very friendly as well [but know your German, as she does not know English]. This is also a very good choice. You will get more of the B&B feel here . . . but you only get to drink beer at the alte Muhle, and stare UP at the Wewelsberg at night . . . while others get to drink beer at the Wewelsberg, and stare DOWN at the alte Muhle!

There is much to see and do in the area . . . remnants of Niederhagen can be found, SS Officer homes are still there [as well as Herrman Bartel's villa, which is now a Church], Externsteine [sorry it's out-of-season], hexenturms, Bodekken, Hermannsdenkmahl, remnants of Wehrmacht training facilities near Paderborn, cycling trails . . . it goes on and on.

There is certainly a lot more to see and do there - the answer to your question, depends on what you want to do . . . Look at a map, and "Google" a little. And for "kicks", here's an old thread you might find curious:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699460

It depends on the season , I have seen it packed and I have seen it empty.

If coming from a far away land personally I would call and see what is going on at the castle, also wait for Externstien to be open.Also I would still go for the hotel for all kinds of reasons. The hostel breakfast in the morning being one of them I have never had luck except the 1 time to get a single room,but maybe calling ahead and no hostel functions going on would help. It is all up to the individual, but I just love that little hotel due to the room decor and surroundings! And right now they make a little Halloween display with nazi zombies!

And NC, have you ever seen the film Hostel, do you know what goes on in these places!
          Iam Uncle Sam
          That’s who Iam
          Been hiding out
          In a rock and roll band

Comment

Awesome place,i visited it this summer.

I liked the museum next to castle.Lots of nice SS items and it is totally free!

Weird thing was,it was not allowed to take pictures inside castle tower floors.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by münster View Post
              And NC, have you ever seen the film Hostel, do you know what goes on in these places!
              Yes, I have seen all three . . . and in all my Hostel experiences . . . it's not the girls from Slovakia you have worry about - it's the girl's in Vegas that will do you in.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                Yes, I have seen all three . . . and in all my Hostel experiences . . . it's not the girls from Slovakia you have worry about - it's the girl's in Vegas that will do you in.
                lol, i hear people go to Vegas and wake up married no money no house and a massive hangover dodgey place

Comment

Was back in September - this time with my Dad . . . and the Wewelsburg was covered in scaffolding.

In the news last week, it was reported the last scaffold has now come down - and the results of the new plaster job can now be seen.

Not sure if I like the look - but apparently, it was necessary.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting guys. It is definitely a place that I would one day like to visit.

Although I have never been there, I do own part of it:

Attached Files
                    When you go home
                    Tell them for us and say
                    For your tomorrow
                    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Just a fantastic place to visit. And the little town of Paderborne not far away is just a delight! Will definitely be back there again next year! Love it! Johnno.

Comment

Originally posted by jiipee76 View Post
                        Awesome place,i visited it this summer.

I liked the museum next to castle.Lots of nice SS items and it is totally free!

Weird thing was,it was not allowed to take pictures inside castle tower floors.
                        That is totally correct. And when I thought I’d sneak one in because it was just us in the room, a loud “Nein” came over the load speakers!!!! It scared the hell out of us and we still laugh about it years later. “N E I N”!!!!!!!! Lol
                        Last edited by helmuthunter; 12-27-2019, 12:02 AM. Reason: Edit

Comment

It's not so easy to take those "Selfies" anymore . . .

Originally posted by helmuthunter View Post
                          That is totally correct. And when I thought I’d sneak one in because it was just us in the room, a loud “Nein” came over the load speakers!!!! It scared the hell out of us and we still laugh about it years later. “N E I N”!!!!!!!! Lol
                          This is true, as there are many visitors deemed "inappropriate" that go there to have a photo made. What helps to get that photo, is asking for permission first - well before you make your visit. We have never had any trouble taking photos, anywhere at the Wewelsburg - but I will admit, on this visit there was certainly more apprehension on the part of the Museum to allow us to do so this time. My Dad snapped an unexpected pic of me, while in the "Crypt" - and I had to remind him that only I had the appropriate "permission" to take any photos. Fortunately, we did not get that booming, "Nein" over those loudspeakers as you did. But I have certainly witnessed this. If one were to follow some of the actions there lately, it may be more easy to understand this position. Just a few weeks ago, some serious vandalism has occurred at the site - and it's definitely not the only time this type of bad behavior has occurred there. Things are not the same now, as when I last visited.

Another place where you will run into some serious tension for taking photos - Quedlinburg. Especially so, anywhere within the Abbey - with extreme attention being paid to the crypt. On our visit, I watched a plain-clothes "security person" accost someone taking photos of his Family in the Chapel. I personally, was almost excused for taking a photo of King Heinrich's "Tomb". As I said before, things are not the same in Germany as I last recall during my previous visits - of which I suppose is for so many reasons. They certainly take things a little more seriously now . . .
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X