Wewelsburg Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wewelsburg Castle

Finally may need to pay a visit to the Wewelsburg Castle soon.
    Can anyone tell me:
    1. Is the administrative office also located in the castle too? If not, where and how to contact them?
    2. Who is the present owner of this Castle?
    3. What is the closest German autobahn to this Castle?
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Maybe you can find the correct information here:

http://www.wewelsburg.de/en/index.php

Comment

Nightstalker,
      Thanks!

Comment

Its a youth hostel, if you cannot secure a single room by calling and begging to get one,it is best to stay at the alte muhle hotel at foot of castle. Autobahn is about 30 mins from castle. Paderborn is next biggest city. Ummm, eat at the former HJ gasthaus andcheck the guestbook for all waf members that have signed. Check out other sites in the near including war cemetery and Externsteine.

I have made this trip many many times. You will enjoy it.
        Iam Uncle Sam
        That’s who Iam
        Been hiding out
        In a rock and roll band

Comment

Originally posted by münster View Post
          Its a youth hostel, if you cannot secure a single room by calling and begging to get one,it is best to stay at the alte muhle hotel at foot of castle. Autobahn is about 30 mins from castle. Paderborn is next biggest city. Ummm, eat at the former HJ gasthaus andcheck the guestbook for all waf members that have signed. Check out other sites in the near including war cemetery and Externsteine.

I have made this trip many many times. You will enjoy it.
          Hi i plan a visit also, is there anything WW2 related nearby?

Comment

Don't just "breeze" through . . .

Its a youth hostel, if you cannot secure a single room by calling and begging to get one,it is best to stay at the alte muhle hotel at foot of castle. Ummm, eat at the former HJ gasthaus andcheck the guestbook for all waf members that have signed.
            Stay in the Youth Hostel, Chen - it was our "ground-zero" for a week, about two years ago. If you play your cards right, you can get free-reign of the castle and it's grounds at night - and NOTHING else can beat that experience.

If you do go to Ottens Hof, be sure to give "Hutu" a warm Hello for us . . . and you can find my signature in the guestbook - it's the one scribbled-over by some other member's brat-kid.

Comment

N.C.
              Thanks for the tips !

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                Stay in the Youth Hostel, Chen - it was our "ground-zero" for a week, about two years ago. If you play your cards right, you can get free-reign of the castle and it's grounds at night - and NOTHING else can beat that experience.

If you do go to Ottens Hof, be sure to give "Hutu" a warm Hello for us . . . and you can find my signature in the guestbook - it's the one scribbled-over by some other member's brat-kid.
                Haha,,I remember that NC. Iron cross I received your PM, all youask I answered in the thread.

Chen, the office is in the castle itself as is the new museum which is pretty good!

I will still advise to stay at the alte muhle, just me but I do not enjoy sharing rooms with strangers.

You can also go in the crypt and do the acoustic trick in center of it.
                Iam Uncle Sam
                That’s who Iam
                Been hiding out
                In a rock and roll band

Comment

Dion, you must be getting shy, you never minded sharing your bed with strangers

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                    Dion, you must be getting shy, you never minded sharing your bed with strangers
                    Well then dont be a stranger Jon.
                    Iam Uncle Sam
                    That’s who Iam
                    Been hiding out
                    In a rock and roll band

Comment

Hi,

Things must have changed since I was there in 2009 then. When I went, you could do a tour of the museum attached to the main office part, and part of the castle, but you couldn't go into the "crypt" or other parts unless you were part of a pre-booked large tour (min 20 people I think from memory), and that had to be all one group. You couldn't be 2 people joining someone else's group.

A walk through the town is well worthwhile, and the restaurant is awesome!

As someone else said, there is a small war cemetery nearby, nearly all of the dates of death are towards the end of the war, so they died trying to defend the town.

And the Externsteine is not far, and also well worth a visit.

Cheers

N

Comment

Haha,,I remember that NC. Iron cross I received your PM, all youask I answered in the thread.

Chen, the office is in the castle itself as is the new museum which is pretty good!

I will still advise to stay at the alte muhle, just me but I do not enjoy sharing rooms with strangers.

You can also go in the crypt and do the acoustic trick in center of it.
                        okay, yes staying in a room with strangers is not nice i will be looking for a hotel near by.

also i seen Extensteine is close on the 1st of november for winter

Comment

Originally posted by ironcross13 View Post
                          okay, yes staying in a room with strangers is not nice i will be looking for a hotel near by.

also i seen Extensteine is close on the 1st of november for winter
                          Alte Muhle hotel is at foot of castle, they have a great beer garden where you can look at the castle on the hill. The lady keeps julleuchters in the breakfast room, I guess a bit of hookiness for all the guests, I hope lol. Ummmm, I only got a sigle 1 time because my better half was pregnant, maybe if you call and arrange it is possible. I cannot think of much else in the area, but I pretty much used to stay busy by the castle and its museum, this can all be done in 1 day or 2. You can go to the giant Hermann statue to see the historic Roman battle field in Detmold, that is something.

http://www.hermannsdenkmal.de/
                          Iam Uncle Sam
                          That’s who Iam
                          Been hiding out
                          In a rock and roll band

Comment

Alte Muehle fruehstuck raum
                            Attached Files
                            Iam Uncle Sam
                            That’s who Iam
                            Been hiding out
                            In a rock and roll band

Comment

Alte Muhle hotel is at foot of castle, they have a great beer garden where you can look at the castle on the hill. The lady keeps julleuchters in the breakfast room, I guess a bit of hookiness for all the guests, I hope lol. Ummmm, I only got a sigle 1 time because my better half was pregnant, maybe if you call and arrange it is possible. I cannot think of much else in the area, but I pretty much used to stay busy by the castle and its museum, this can all be done in 1 day or 2. You can go to the giant Hermann statue to see the historic Roman battle field in Detmold, that is something.

http://www.hermannsdenkmal.de/
                              is this the hotel you speak of? http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...estphalia.html
                              how did you book it?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X