GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Then and Now: 10 June 1944...Oradour-sur-Glane/My Visit .

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ATTACH]3581202[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3581203[/ATTACH]

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

We [my Dad, the Wife, and I] were just at the site, back in early September . . . and noticed something strange. When going through the Museum/Visitor Center adjacent to the village, I noticed that of all the German Officers mentioned - I found only the name of Adolf Diekmann being misspelled. If I am not mistaken - in only the few places it is written . . . it is spelled, "Dickman". For us who's native language is English, that spelling could bring a few chuckles . . . but I was wondering - could this spelling error be intentional?

In our journey, we also travelled to view the burial site of Diekmann . . . and it was surprising to us, how so few that were at the cemetery that day actually recognized the name. We even found some Frenchmen who had never heard it before. They were all well aware of the action at Oradour . . . but had no knowledge for the name, Adolf Diekmann.

I am just curious . . . would anyone know why the name was misspelled at the Oradour Visitor Center?
        Attached Files

Comment

Great place ! Really enjoyed my visit there also. Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X