Adolf Hitler's Home on the Obersalzberg, 1927-1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adolf Hitler's Home on the Obersalzberg, 1927-1945

I was on a recent tour inBerchtesgaden (Band of Brothers)when I realized I was near the former site of the Berghof. I asked the tour leader if I had time to check it out but we were running short. I went anyway!! I wasn't going to travel this far and not be able to see what remained of the Furhrer's home!! The first pic shows behind the museum where the bunker entrance is located (<big>Obersalzberg Bunker System)</big>. Down the road, to the left are the remains. I was told the German government planted fast growing trees to cover up whats left. I only had a few min.s but found a "retaining wall" which ran a good distance up the hill. This could be shown in picture "10" on "Third Reich in Ruins". Behind Bormann tree? http://www.thirdreichruins.com/berghof.htm
    What do you think??

Comment

Comment

Not just any rock!!!!

Comment

Nice pics, buddy!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice pictures!

Originally posted by NEllis View Post
            I was told the German government planted fast growing trees to cover up whats left.

Sums up the attitude of the German government well

Comment

I have seen pics of the Berghoff and other buildings from that period and there were rows of rocks on the roofs.... why did they have these rocks on them? to hold the shingles down?... stop the snow from sliding off?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNZ View Post
                Nice pictures!
                Sums up the attitude of the German government well
                It's depressing how many historic buildings were torn down in the area. Sometimes I wish I was born 20 years earlier!!

Thanks Santiago!

Comment

Nice pics, thanks for the tour.

Comment

I was there for 3 months this summer. I looked for the entrance, to no avail. There were some traces to tunnel entrance's, but the true entrances were sealed. Oh well, it'll take someone falling in to find them, I'm afraid. But the Kehlsteinhaus was great........ Dave
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Nek View Post
                      I was there for 3 months this summer. I looked for the entrance, to no avail. There were some traces to tunnel entrance's, but the true entrances were sealed. Oh well, it'll take someone falling in to find them, I'm afraid. But the Kehlsteinhaus was great........ Dave
                      Yes it was!!!!!!!

Comment

So the Eagle's nest is now a tourist attraction with a museum and everything?

Comment

Originally posted by NEllis View Post
                          Not just any rock!!!!

Maybe stupid to say but you mean you took this piece of rock from the obersalzberg ?
                          what if......
                          what if everyone who got up the mountain took a piece to bring back home.
                          again, I'm very sorry to say and It might sound weak to you but If every one would take a piece in a few years theres not much more to visit, is there ?

its like stealing little bits and pieces from a monument.

I'm very sorry to say but thats my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by blackadder View Post
                            Maybe stupid to say but you mean you took this piece of rock from the obersalzberg ?
                            what if......
                            what if everyone who got up the mountain took a piece to bring back home.
                            again, I'm very sorry to say and It might sound weak to you but If every one would take a piece in a few years theres not much more to visit, is there ?

its like stealing little bits and pieces from a monument.

I'm very sorry to say but thats my opinion.

I got my daughter to bring back some sand off Juno beach. I'd better mail it back to France ... I'd hate to see the Normandy Beach disappear !!!

Comment

hahah
                              but you know what I mean with my post !
                              Last edited by blackadder; 10-06-2007, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X