Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing Tim, as always you're pics are a joy to look at no matter what you seem to photograph.

KR
    Philippe

Comment

I'd agree with Phil's sentiments, and very arty pictures too .

When are you over in Europe next Tim ? I've a weekend job flying a Tiger Moth.....fancy a trip ? Theres a silly question to ask !

But one day you must visit this appropiate haunt, I'm sure George would like to have a few in here too.

A pub in Heidelberg, aptly named !

Kr

Marcus (more pic's please)
      Attached Files

Comment

I feel a vacation coming on!
        George

Comment

I was last there nearly 20 years ago--absolutely beautiful. I had asked for a room (by telephone) with a view in the same direction as the 'berühmten Schaufenster' ( famous picture window) and Frau Scharfenberg interrupted before I had to say any more and told me that she had the perfect room. So we had the same view, only a few hundred meters away, as the Berghof picture window.
          One day, after spending 45 minutes or so in the underground bunkers, we emerged and walked over to the car in the parking lot, intending to drive down into town. I discovered that I didn't have my car keys and realized that I must have dropped them in the underground tunnels somewhere. So, it was back down to the bunkers to look for them. If you've been there, you know that the lighting is dim at best, and the damp floor is covered with a thin layer of black silt or mud. So, here I am, trying to find a set of keys in a black leather key case in dark wet slime with little light. After shuffling around for a long time, I actually found the keys--I was very surprised! And I realized that I was probably among the very few in history who had lost their keys in the Führer's bunkers.
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Hmm, when I see this photos, I immediately feel the urge to go back there! We were there last year, a dream came true. We spend two nights at the former Adolf Hitler Jugendherberg, which hasn’t changed much since the construction and opening by AH. Besides the historical background, the enviroment itself is also very entertaining.

We also visited what was left of the Berghof, which was rather disappointing. The wall we now can see was behind the Berghof, not a part of the building itself. And even the worse, the destruction of the Platterhof!

Kind regards,

Maurice<O></O>

Comment

Either I missed it or there wasn't a response to Tim's question so I'll bite and ask why are there holes in the wreath of the GWL badge? I enjoyed the thread so much I almost forgot to ask the question.
              Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Since you guys are so kind, here are a couple more...

Larry,

I'll start a thread in the War and Qualification section on the GWL!

Erich,

Is this the view you had?? You can see the trees have grown! Great story about the car keys!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Tim Calvert; 06-17-2005, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Same window, looking to the NE.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Erich
                    I actually found the keys--I was very surprised! And I realized that I was probably among the very few in history who had lost their keys in the Führer's bunkers.
                    Erich
                    Good thing you found them. Someone would have stumbled upon them a few decades from now, and soon had them offered on e-bay as ... HITLER's PERSONAL CAR KEYS !!!

Comment

Our room was on the southside...with a view of the "Nest".
                      Attached Files

Comment

Frau Scharfenberg is still running Zum Teurken and is sharp and a great hostess. Her family owned the hotel before it was "confiscated / bought" by their neighbor. It was used by the SD until being bombed by the Brits in '45.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Simply great pictures Tim. Glad to hear the zum Türken is still there. I knew they were tearing up lots of stuff. When we were there in 2000, they were busy tearing up the SS barracks. Only a huge hole was left where the barracks once stood. Heard they found all kinds of munitions during the excavation process.
                          Richard V

Comment

You can see the Teurken lower left.....
                            Attached Files

Comment

...and on this day the British bombers actually hit their target! Well, it was 617 Squadron, and daylight with no fighter opposition.
                              Sorry Marcus!
                              ;-)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Luckily Frau Scharfenberg's mom moved back into the hotel and preserved what was left. Here it is rebuilt.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X