No announcement yet.

ATF Texled smocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an ATF M-40 Palm smock. I wonder if prolonged exposure to sunlight verses repeated washings will help give it a more weathered look. Is it that much more costly to use dye instead of ink?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron P View Post
      I have an ATF M-40 Palm smock. I wonder if prolonged exposure to sunlight verses repeated washings will help give it a more weathered look. Is it that much more costly to use dye instead of ink?
      From my experience constant washing and hanging in sunlight doesn't achieve the desired age effect. The only way to achieve what we are looking for, is for the garment to be worn, then natural wear, scuffing and bleaching occurs. As I mentioned before, I wear mine for three months, in all weathers, for about 2 hours a day but if I am working outside then it can be more. This achieves a light worn effect but don't be tempted to keep washing them, just let them wear in.

Jon

Comment

ATF Texeled and SM palm smocks. The ATF lace holes seem a lot more convincing than the SM ones to my eye. Also the SM smock has a very strange effect to the printing, it almost seems as it were sprayed and there was a problem with the nozzles but I can't seem to take a photo that conveys what the eye sees.
        Attached Files

Comment

However two of my favourite smocks, SM early 3/4 and early 5/6.
          Attached Files

Comment

The early 3-4 is the best smock SM has even made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
              The early 3-4 is the best smock SM has even made.

Owen for once I have to agree with you.

Jon

Comment

Jon
                Not agreeing with me is what makes the world go round.
                I used to own the original that it was copied from and he got the cloth and colors 100% perfect match.
                We call that toxic green print.

Comment

Thanks!

Owen, thanks for your insights and good information!

And thanks, all, for sharing! Very helpful!

I briefly had one of the early ATF "Texled" smocks that were handmade
                  here in America while he was getting production going in the home of the
                  CCP virus. The string holes were hand-stitched as has been shown earlier
                  in this thread, and there was some effort made to use varying cloth for a
                  more realistic appearance. The Chinese-made ATF smocks, which are MUCH cheaper ($250 for Texled when they were briefly made, vs. $99 for Chinese version), do not have the hand stitched string holes or any "shading" or mismatched fabrics.

On the Texled, stitching, construction and fabric quality were excellent.
                  Mine was a "Blurred Edge," and the printing on mine, for whatever reason,
                  was not nearly as close to matching the original pattern as those in photos on his website or photos of other ATF BE smocks from the current run. It was somewhat dark and indistinct, vs. the original pattern.

Comparing it side by side with an SMW "large" smock, the fabric on the SMW felt like fragile tissue paper when compared to the ATF. Also, the sleeves on the SMW were noticeably tighter, restricting movement even with just a T-shirt on, and would hamper the use of other clothing under it. For hot-weather use, it would
                  probably be more comfortable than ATF's, depending on what you had on under it, due to its' much lighter fabric.

The proprietor of ATF states he's based his measurements on many original
                  smocks, and points out that his sleeves are roomy -- correctly so. Certainly,
                  I would not want to use the particular SMW smock I evaluated in anything but warm weather, and it seems likely to be much less durable and resistant to tearing than the ATF smocks -- including the inexpensive Chinese versions.

I'm certainly no expert on authenticity, and will never be able to own an original.
                  However, if I were picking between the two, based on what I've seen, for quality I feel the ATF stands well above the SMW.

Hope this helps,
                  John

Comment

The Texeled smocks are still made in America, indeed ATF have some plane tree blurred edge mix Texeled smocks awaiting sewing. However, according to the reply to my email regarding when they were making some more, I was told that they were on hold as they only sell about one a year. This I find really strange, as when they do produce a batch of a new mix, they sell out very quickly.

It seems to me that they would rather sell girly hand bags and gun bags than keep their core customers happy. Obviously business is so good that he doesn't want my money.

Still, I suppose patience was a virgin but I am not.

Jon
                    Last edited by johann mor; 04-01-2020, 05:49 AM. Reason: added text

Comment

I have an older example of the SMW toxic green 5/6 smocks. Unfortunately my camera just does not get the green true to color, which is indeed rather unique.
                      I know they copied this from one of Owen's smocks and I think they did a pretty good job.
                      I also agree that the ATF rendition of the palm camo is better than SMW.
                      CB
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by cpbuehler; 04-01-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Funny when you dig in the garage you find
                        ATF top
                        SM bottom

Comment

Owen, with your experienced eye, which of the two Palm renditions do you think is better?

Comment

I thought I would add a few more. Texeled ATF Blurred edge.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Texeled ATF 370 smock
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cpbuehler View Post
                                Owen, with your experienced eye, which of the two Palm renditions do you think is better?

I is a very hard question to honestly answer.
                                Let me think about it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X