ATF Texled smocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graham G View Post
    Atf and SMW use ink. CD is dye. Dyes and inks are very different, both to the feel and the methods which they are set on the fabric. Typical printing ink sits on top of the fabric (hence why SMW and ATF feel "rubbery", it's just like the printing on a silk screened tee-shirt). On original camo, the dye (which is thickened for printing into a paste) reacts with the fabric; once the excess is washed, it leaves no feel on the fabric at all.

Smws fabric has gotten very good. However, the patterns are all still very, very wonky. Compare green or orange blobs with originals and you'll see what I mean. All hand screened patterns for together like a puzzle, not like overprint where the black is simply printed over a base regardless of where the various shapes sit. SMW uses a generic orange/green pattern for ALL of his numbered pts (1-6), which fits like overprint with a very short repeat- not at all how originals work.
    I am mystified by this rubbery feel you describe. The cloth feels the same as the originals. If they were just ink printed, why would there be some bleed through, although very faint, to each side? And also, the colors and print would wear off far more easily than they do.
    Anyway, you are quite correct in that SMW uses the same base pattern for all of its plane tree, with just the black overprint differing.
    CB

Comment

Originally posted by cpbuehler View Post
      I am mystified by this rubbery feel you describe. The cloth feels the same as the originals. If they were just ink printed, why would there be some bleed through, although very faint, to each side? And also, the colors and print would wear off far more easily than they do.
      Anyway, you are quite correct in that SMW uses the same base pattern for all of its plane tree, with just the black overprint differing.
      CB
      If you're more comfortable believing that MIC ATF and MIM (ooops. sorry. "Los Angeles") SMW smocks are hand-dyed, and therefore identical to an original item, then more power to you.

Comment

Smw and ATF are both printed using ink; this becomes very clear if you've got experience working with proper dye printing. Regardless of the "touch" or "feel" of that, the patterns are wrong. Too wrong for reenactment? Maybe, maybe not. But, if we're strictly talking as far as what is actually correct, neither come close

Comment

What’s more rubbery is the typical re-enactment guys 6 pack.
          Who the jackets are made for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
            What’s more rubbery is the typical re-enactment guys 6 pack.
            Who the jackets are made for.

Comment

You forgot to mention that they are also made for limited income fools such as myself. Thread closed for me.

Comment

Originally posted by cpbuehler View Post
                You forgot to mention that they are also made for limited income fools such as myself. Thread closed for me.
                I am also a member of that club. The cost of real ones are way out of my league so I must settle for as close to authentic repros as available. They still look nice with my Denix MP-40 and STG.

Comment

Could someone please post a photo of a Chris Dillon smock? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 509thPIB View Post
                    Could someone please post a photo of a Chris Dillon smock? Thank you.
                    I believe post #37 is a Chris Dillon example.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron P View Post
                      I believe post #37 is a Chris Dillon example.
                      Thank you Ron.

Comment

For years I have wondered why the vast majority of those reenacting German portrayed Waffen SS and never got a straight answer, it is the camo!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DennyB View Post
                          For years I have wondered why the vast majority of those reenacting German portrayed Waffen SS and never got a straight answer, it is the camo!!!!
                          Really, it's just toooo sexy for words.

Comment

Here is atf current palm jackets
                            Personally I think the print colors are great as is the construction but sadly on both jackets the pattern placement is way off.
                            This is no doubt down to the cutter not placing the body template in the correct position throwing the whole look of the jacket off.
                            But apart from that great jacket

Comment

Again great jacket just pattern placement off

Comment

Again great colors
                                But the chest palm instead of mid arm somewhat spoils the appearance

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X