This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WWIIMARTIN View Post
    For extra protection you should buy one of these zappers. Just hook them up to an outlet and they almost instantly are attracted to the light. It's small and works well. I personally have tried this exact piece and you can't imagine how much bugs got zapped in a week. It's a good tool for your war room if you don't want critters lurking around especially the ones that are near impossible to see. Here is the link.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/110-220V-Elect...591?nav=SEARCH

What kind of zapper is this ? the link is dead. thanks

Comment

Moths

You have to kill the eggs which are embedded in the fabric.
      Seal the item in a plastic bag and freeze it.
      In the freezer overnight.
      This kills the eggs.
      This is not correct, freezing only will not kill eggs

You put the cloth item in the freezer for 24 hours, allowing ice crystals to form around the insect eggs.

Place item in direct sunlight for 3-4 hours, this will heat up the water around the eggs and hatch the insects

Place item back in the freezer for 24 hours to kill the hatched insects

Mark S

Comment

it comes down to a few things.. Not everyone has , or can get equipment others have. And, basically collectors are going to do what they want to do.

Me,,all this freezing, defrosting, refreezing etc. isn't for me. Chemicals,,no. Heating / baking,,no..

For a new to the collection jacket,, - Hang out with it for a night, light brushing, inspecting, vacuuming etc. and repeating. Work my way through out the complete jacket inside and out.
        Then in a new garment bag with either a couple moth balls,,or a cedar block thrown in bottom and done.

Comment

The Curse of Moths

To my absolute horror, my mint condition original Luftwaffe Officers mantel has somehow recently got a moth hole. Despite my use of garment bags, moth klillers, and regular checking. I have now bought vacuum sealed hanging bags for my uniform collection and hope these will prove a more effective solution to the moth problem.

Comment

Originally posted by odin225 View Post
            What kind of zapper is this ? the link is dead. thanks
            I think he was referring to this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Electric...MAAOSw7NNT4GxA

If you want something bigger try this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELUXE-Aspec...gAAOSw44BYNqko

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
              ,,or a cedar block

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...cedar&_sacat=0

Comment

Cedar would work however I have heard the natural oils in the wood would go dry after a decade of use.

Comment

Scotchgard seems to work as a moth proofer.
                  It contains CB - 80 insecticide.

Comment

I've said this before in other moth-related threads, and it's worth repeating here. Carpet beetles are another serious wool-eating pest. While many collectors blame everything on moths, just as often it's these little beetles that are to blame. (Yes! We always hear about "mothing," but never about "beetling.") Even if you don't currently have them in your home, that means nothing. Those antennae they have are ultra perceptive about finding food, perfected over millions of years of survivalist evolution. And those expensive military uniforms, visors, patches, etc., with all the decades-old sweat, skin oil, and body salts are their favorite foods! They are delicacies they can sense through walls, floors, and barriers you wouldn't imagine. Yes! Unfortunately, there is NO way to totally protect your collection from these little buggers, when you choose to display them outside of anything less than an airtight bag. Sorry for the bad news. But, it's better to be realistic, proactive, and safe than be sorry later, with anger you can take out on nothing but a bug (if you can even find it). Oh, and as for cedar chips keeping the carpet beetles away. Forget it! It's an old wives tale, if ever there was one! Take it from someone who knows a lot about insects and someone who has, unfortunately, learned the hard way earlier!

Comment

Stalh,,
                      , So what are your recommendations for these carpet beetles?
                      To kill existing and prevent infestation.?

Comment

All hard surfaces in a home helped with my allergies . . .

Stalh,,
                        Eliminate the carpet is the first thing that comes to my mind . . .

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                          Eliminate the carpet is the first thing that comes to my mind . . .
                          right ,i dont have any left as for today

Comment

Stalh,,
                            I have heard - but have not tried - sprinkling diatomaceous earth in carpet can kill most any bug with an exoskeleton. Sounded kind of messy to me - and like it might ruin a vacuum cleaner.

Comment

Hello,

Could these things be the silken feeding tunnel from a moth or could it be something other like Dust? I am pretty worried at the moment...

Gesendet von meinem VIE-L09 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X