Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find this mode of treatment fascinating.....I've heard of the entotherm method being used in cases of home and industrial infestation, as well as bulk textile insect treatment.

Paul and Hilton....I'd be interested to know the museums in which you've both worked...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Is there a treatment Like perhaps putting your items in a box with mothballs) that will last for a while after you take them out? I am talking about cloth isignia , not full uniforms. Something that you could do, say, every 4 months or something?

Also, is there something you can do to be sure an item is bug and egg free before introducing it to your collection case?

Comment

Put it in the freezer in a ziplock bag for 96 hours.
        pseudo-expert

Comment

I keep all of my cloth and paper items in a cedar chest............I hope that is OK

Always thought it was safe for storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
            Put it in the freezer in a ziplock bag for 96 hours.
            Thanks Don, they don't survive that? I know ants do!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilton View Post

But if you are working in the museums business I would recommend you to read the links that I posted, it doesn't hurt to learn something new you know:-) It is rather strange that you are in the conservation branch and have never heard of entotherm heat treatment before?

Hilton,
              USA and Europe really do not communicate as much as you might think.
              USA refuses to even look at various medical treatments that have been commonplace in Europe for decades.
              Certain health supplements are not recognized in USA.

History departments have different requirements in USA than Europe. Even appears to be a different type of level on what needs to be cited...

Treatment of swimming pools is done with completely different chemicals in USA than elsewhere.

Moth balls are made from different chemicals...and the laws surrounding mothballs are different.
              Heck, the USA acts as if Canada is another planet.
              My point being,
              The USA in many respects, is not in a dialouge with the rest of the world on a lot of things, including it appears, even the treatments of antique paper products.

Comment

Has anyone put a steel helmet with a leather liner in a plastic bag in the freezer for a few days? I heard this is a good way to destroy larvae, but I would be very considered about the leather liner, especially if it is already dry or brittle. I've heard some people tell me you need to treat the leather first, but that is also a terrible idea because anything added to the leather will only lead to an earlier death over the long run.

Comment

Very interesting reflections Michael Fay, I totally agree with you.

Comment

Last edited by chiffonnier; 08-31-2020, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilton View Post
                      Very interesting reflections Michael Fay, I totally agree with you.
                      Thanks Hilton,
                      It is like a science fiction story where humans on two different planets are now evolving in total isolation of each other even though originally from a common source...

on another cautionary note, things done now to treat museum artifacts anywhere in the world may in the future be found to have been in actuality damaging after further study.
                      Just like many of archival treatments in the past...now long discredited, or lately discredited.

Comment

So true Mr Fay, so true:-)

Comment

Moth prevention

You have to kill the eggs which are embedded in the fabric.
                          Seal the item in a plastic bag and freeze it.
                          In the freezer overnight.
                          This kills the eggs.

Comment

I've read somewhere that most house freezers are not cold enough and that a night is not enough. Rather a deep freezing unit is needed and a few nights in it.
                            The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

-20 deg Celsius should be anough, and that can be achieved in a home freezer.

Here you can find a bit more info:

https://ellencarrlee.wordpress.com/tag/freezing/

Comment

For extra protection you should buy one of these zappers. Just hook them up to an outlet and they almost instantly are attracted to the light. It's small and works well. I personally have tried this exact piece and you can't imagine how much bugs got zapped in a week. It's a good tool for your war room if you don't want critters lurking around especially the ones that are near impossible to see. Here is the link.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/110-220V-Elect...591?nav=SEARCH

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X