Kampfgeschwader 55 collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kampfgeschwader 55 collection

Anyone who knows me or has seen parts of my collection in the thread on this forum "Luftwaffe from Ireland" will know that my collecting interest is in Luftwaffe flight uniforms and equipment etc. But within that area I also collected anything relating to the bomber wing Kampfgeschwader 55 or KG55 for short. But in the last two years or so, I've narrowed down my collecting to only items from KG55 and have traded and sold some parts of my collectoin to this end, as a result my collection has got little smaller, but I've picked up some very rare and desireable items relating to KG55.

KG55 were one of the most famous bomber units of the Luftwaffe and served in Poland, France, the Low Countries, the Battle of Britain, the Blitz and the Russian campagne. 42 of its members received the Knightscross, 4 the Oakleaves, and 11 former members received the Knightscross, 357 of its members were holders of the German cross in Gold and 950 the Honuor Goblet.

I've decided to post photos of my KG55 collection here and would like anyone else who has items from KG55 if they wish to post them here also.
    Also any item from I & II groups KG254 and KG155 would also be welcome as they were both former designations of KG55.

I'll start this off with the first KG55 group I picked up.
    It's the Tunic, Award documents, Flugbuch and Shooting lanyard to Obfw Wilhelm Borges of 5th Staffel KG55. He was awarded the EKII in 23/7/1942 and the EKI in 9/8/1942 and later after transfering to 9th Staffel (Eis) KG3 he was awarded the DKiG in 17/5/1943. Obfw. Borges served with KG55 during the resupply and evacuation of Stalingrad in 42/43
    KG55 lead the Stalingrad airlift under the overall command of Oberst Ernst Kuhl they lost 59 aircraft, but evacuated 9,161 troops. Wilhelm borges was one of those pilots.
    Attached Files

Obfw Wilhelm Borges EKII and I award documents. The EKII is signed by General de flieger Pflugbeil and the EKI is signed by Generaloberst Von Richthofen.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jim murray; 05-07-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jim murray View Post
      Anyone who knows me or has seen parts of my collection in the thread on this forum "Luftwaffe from Ireland" will know that my collecting interest is in Luftwaffe flight uniforms and equipment etc. But within that area I also collected anything relating to the bomber wing Kampfgeschwader 55 or KG55 for short. But in the last two years or so, I've narrowed down my collecting to only items from KG55 and have traded and sold some parts of my collectoin to this end, as a result my collection has got little smaller, but I've picked up some very rare and desireable items relating to KG55.
      Hey Jim, This is BEAUTIFULL!!
      I would trade my whole collection for this tunic with decorations, but I think you would not haha

very, very nice tunic!

Cheers from Holland! Dougie

Comment

Obfw. Wilhelm Borges Flugbuch. unfortunatly it does not contain any combat flights.
        Attached Files

Comment

The next group is to Oblt. Werner Oberlander StKpt 2/KG55 and RK 24/3/1943. His flugbuch has 42 combat filghts which includes the very successful raid on the BAC aircraft factory at Filton, Bristol on the 25/9/1940, after his bomb run Oberlanders He111 was attacked by five fighters and was heavily hit by machine gun fire, but no one was wounded and examination of the aircraft back at Villacoublay revealed no less than 152 bullet holes. Werner Oberlander flew 263 combat flights until seriously wounded in mid 1943.

The group consists of his pilots badge, his bomber clasp in bronze, his first flugbuch, his fiugzeugfuhrerschein (pilots licence) a signed wartime photo, and some of his photos.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jim murray; 05-07-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Oblt. Werner Oberlanders flugbuch showing the raid on the BAC Factory,
            His flugbuch is quoted in Kenneth Wakefields excellent book "Luftwaffe Encore" in which he discribes the raid on the BAC factory at Filton, Bristol on the 25th Sept 1940.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jim murray; 05-07-2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

His flugzeugfuhrerschein (pilots licence)
              Attached Files

Comment

Some of his photos, which include a trip to kreta.
                Attached Files

Comment

That tunic is just incredible, even with history Thx for sharing.

Comment

Jim

Fantastic tunic!

Here's my KG55 item. Ehrenpokal to Otto Stadel, Fw.
                    Attached Files
                    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                    Decorations of Germany

Comment

835 Silver with award date 3.3.1941
                      Attached Files
                      Decorations of Germany

Comment

Last.

I have been trying to find his documents ever since I acquired this goblet, alll so far without success.

Rich
                        Attached Files
                        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Hi Richard,
                          Thank you for posting your super goblet, I will also keep an eye out for his documents for you, I look through alot of sites in search for KG55 items.
                          Regards.
                          Jim

Comment

Great items thanks for showing!!

Jeremy
                            Last edited by JeremyJ; 05-08-2011, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Jim, an outstanding focused collection

I cant keepmy eyes off that amazing tunic

Nick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 11 users online. 0 members and 11 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X