Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am doomed

Hello,

I was so impressed by the beauty of the imperial enamelwork that i could simply not resist and obtained the following little medal bar

All opinions are welcome offcoarse and i would like to know as much as possible about the awards (especially the enameled ones !!! )

Cordial and greatfull greetings,
    Attached Files
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

a few close ups

Hello,

here is a close up

Cordial greetings,
    Attached Files

Comment

Oh what tangled webs.....

... men weave. Stijn, you might as well start selling all those shields and glider badges now!

Comment

and another one ....

here is another one
        Attached Files

Comment

anotehr one

Here is anotehr one ......
          Attached Files

Comment

the last one

Hello,

Here is the last one for now => all info is greatly appreciated.

Cordial greetings,
            Attached Files

Comment

Well, with the missing medal in the last place, it is worthless, so you might as well send it to me.

Comment

I am doomed

Hello,

Oh i see => but it would be to cruel for me to send you such a junky bar

Here is a last one

Cordial greetings,
                Attached Files

Comment

It most likely was the bar of a junior officer in Fusilier Regiment Nr. 40. This was the regiment of the principality of Hohenzollern, and was part of a Baden brigade. Medals are:

1. Iron Cross, 2nd Class - Prussia
                  2. Royal House Order of Hohenzollern, Knight with Swords - Prussia
                  3. Princely House Order of Hohenzollern, Knight with Swords - Hohenzollern
                  4. Order of the Zahringen Lion, (probably) Knight 2nd Class with Swords - Baden

Comment

--Would it be unethical to acquire a loose Zahringen Lion and complete the bar?
                    --Niiiice bar, Stijn. Makes you wanna get rid of all that zinc, doesn't it?

Comment

Sweeeet!

Say, perhaps the ZL is missing because the family had to return it? Or was that for pre-WW1 orders only? I forget...

In any case, nice bar! Good job for a zinc lover!

Comment

Super nice, I followed the auction with envy. Congrats on a beautiful addition. The question about replacing the ZL is interesting, don't know if I colud resist seeing that green complete the orders row!

Comment

If there are little snap in clips for the rings, you have no problem replacing the Baden Zähringen Lion-Knight 2nd Class X. If they sew in, it will be harder work for you, but since there is no question that was the class now missing, I don't see any harm whatsoever in RESTORING the bar rather than leaving it like this. If it requires sewing in, I'd just slide the replacement "BZ3bX" in there LOOSE, held in by what appears to be the tight, solid ribbon fit.

Somebody probably pulled it out and threw it away because one of the green glass arms had been knocked off.

It's a GREAT Oberleutnant's/Hauptmann aD bar, but with no Principality of Hohenzollern award rolls, no way to "find" this guy.

Comment

great bar

Hello,

I have long doubted to aquire such a bar and there where 2 imperial awards for me that are must haves (the "HOHX" + the "BZ3bX" ). Now i will have them on bar iff i manage to reunite the grouping !!!! (+i also hope this won't ignite a new expanded imperial collecting virus !!!! )

Anyway i understand that the imperial enamelwork is however quite scarce with numbers from under the 10.000 awarded.

* the Royal Prussian Hausorden von hohenzollern : 8291 awards during WW I

* the Princely House of Hohenzollern : ???????? (no award numbers known at this point?)

* The Order of Zähringer Löwen : 7549 awards of the Knights cross 2 nd. class ( if he received a 1 e class : 1435 awards )

Can anyone explain the rank one did have to have to be entitled to receive the enamel awards?

Where all of these enamel awards obliged to be returned prior to some point (lets say 1930 or so?) , iff they where why is only the Zähringer Löwe missing?

Would it be safe to assume that the former wearer was dead before the Hindenburgcross was instituted or is this just a shot in the dark ? as otehrwise he might have worn it at the end of his beautiful bar... )

Many questions remain and hopefully they will publisch these rolls once upon a time ......

Cordial greetings,

ps: Indeed this is some superior stuff and it is for me a colourfull way to add some great awards to my collection

Comment

Hi Stjin,
                              Yes you ARE doomed!!! It happened to me too. Very nice bar BTW. Rick by the questions he asked it looks like you have a new student!
                              Best, Sal

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X