This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot on: IMPERIAL FAKES!

Thanks to this gentleman from Latvia, we now have excellent close-ups of the latest 1870 fakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2205331798
    Last edited by Doug See; 02-25-2005, 06:05 PM.

Hi Doug,

I was so impressed, I asked the seller what camera he used. Turns out he has a Sony cyber shot 5.0 mega pixels camera, with a Carl Zeiss 10X lens. Business must be good................

Comment

Originally posted by Doug See
      Thanks to this gentleman from Lativa, we now have excellent close-ups of the latest 1870 fakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2205331798
      Could you explain the distinguising characteristics?

I assume it's the crown... too bubbly or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon XIV
        Could you explain the distinguising characteristics?

I assume it's the crown... too bubbly or something...
        Most frequently, these are sold on eBay from Latvia, Sweden, South Carolina, and elsewhere. Not to be smart about it, but the entire piece is wrong. Fake patina, bad pin, and too perfect (laser cut). Also, the fact that there have been aboutg 15 of these on eBay in the past few weeks should be a clue.
        Last edited by Doug See; 02-25-2005, 06:03 PM.

Comment

!

!
          Last edited by Rick Versailles; 09-13-2004, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Got to say that they're getting somewhat better at it since the muffin crown type. Still no cigar though. It is said the devil as well as the truth is in the details. So far they're still hand in hand with the devil.
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Thanks Doug! Yet more images to add to the ever-growing "fakes to beware of" file on my PC...

Comment

--Got `em. Good looking out, Doug!

Comment

Spot on: IMPERIAL FAKES!

I want to start a thread about imperial fakes and "collectors copies" as some kind of fakes-database. I think we haven't got anything like this here.
                  Please support this thread with your own pics and informations.

At first a crappy EKII 1914 fake. This one is cast.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Back:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Next one is the classic polish EK1 copy. It is one-piece and non-magnetic. The detail is quite good, also the pinback, but you won`t find that type of pinback on any originals.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Back. A well made pinback! Sometimes these crosses come with "800" marks, but it never even look like silver.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Open pin:
                          Attached Files

Comment

A prussian Koppelschloß. Stamped in brass and silver-plated. I got this one from the Haiger show for 7,50 Euro as "collectors copy". Good for reenactment or for display but not more. It is very thin metal but I am sure they will become better! Dig it in your garden for some months so it will look old and could irritate a new collector.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Good idea Jens. I don't have any pictures to add at present but we should all support this.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X