1st pattern Jawless cap skull thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st pattern Jawless cap skull thread

As there always seem to be questions about these I have merged a LOT of these threads together, i would ask members if they find other threads in this forum relating to this type of insignia please post a link and in this thread and i will attempt to merge them as well.

also any members wanting questions answered about this type of cap Totenkopf please post it in this thread
    cheers
    Gary

Last edited by Gary Wood; 08-24-2008, 05:30 PM.

Genuine Jawless Skull ???

Hi....need help again, opinions please on this really good looking TK, feels really nice, seems to be finished well. Don't know if the scan does this any justice, alot duller once it's in your hands, quite heavy for a thin piece of metal.

All thoughts welcome........Tony
    Attached Files

Comment

reverse..........
      Attached Files

Comment

The whole thing is quite dirty, yellow 'stuff' inside the back is not rust, just part of the patina. Has an area of copper oxidation also.

Comment

Danziger Totenkopf

In my experience, the plated tin or buntmetall/Tombak ones are quite light, as are the Feinzink ones. These images are always limited, but I would suggest that this piece has the impression of artificial age-ing, but I really cannot tell. Good luck.... I would turn to Robin Lumsden or Derek Chapman on this score, or to those colleagues with excellent material of this kind vom deutschen Heere.

Comment

Thanks Donald...when I say quite heavy, that's probably an overstatement. It's actually a very light thing, but seems solid for such a small item. Already have a standard TK and the weight is very similar, think this is slightly heavier though. Is definetely NOT cast and is pressed, can scrape alot of the gunk off with my nails and can notice a copper hue just beneath the left eyelid where the finish has been rubbed off. might see if I can convince the Post Office to let me weigh it there tomorrow.
            How heavy should this be & is it a cap badge?

Thanks.......Tony

Comment

It's always very difficult to tell with these things from photos......even good photos like these. On balance, I'm not too keen on that one. The detail just doesn't seem to be there. I think it's an old repro (the old ones were the best) but I wouldn't stake my life on it. Personally, it isn't one I'd buy.

Comment

Thanks for your input Robin, don't know what to think about this one, just looks & feels so good. Can you tell me what this was originally off, is it an early cap badge or what ???

regards......Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C
                  Thanks for your input Robin, don't know what to think about this one, just looks & feels so good. Can you tell me what this was originally off, is it an early cap badge or what ???

regards......Tony
                  Tony.
                  This type was originally worn on the dress cap by members of Leibhusaren Regiments 1 & 2. After 1918, it was adopted by various Freikorps units as a cap and arm badge, and thereafter was used by the SS. It also featured on Wehrwolf collar patches between 1923 and the mid-1930s. A lot of ex-vet and similar groups used it between the wars. Then used again by Cavalry Regiment 'North' and the 5th Cavalry towards the end of WW2. It was a very popular badge............I wonder why??

Comment

Thanks Robin.....that clears that up I guess !!??? regards.......Tony

Comment

Weight of TK??

Hi....just revisiting my earlier thread, had a chance to weigh this skull now, comes out at 2.9 grams. How does this relate to a known genuine item??

Thanks......Tony

Comment

Early Jawless Totenkopf??

Here's what I believe to be an early TK. It's similar to pictures of the 'Danziger-style' TK. What do you think in terms of its authenticity?
                        Also, what value would it have??
                        -Ernst
                        Attached Files

Comment

early TK

here's the reverse side
                          Originally posted by bonteront2
                          Here's what I believe to be an early TK. It's similar to pictures of the 'Danziger-style' TK. What do you think in terms of its authenticity?
                          Also, what value would it have??
                          -Ernst
                          Attached Files

Comment

From what I can see, it looks OK. The big dealers would charge about $150 for one of these, but if you keep your eyes peeled you can pick them up on eBay for about $50.

Comment

Danziger TK

I paid 150USD to Hritz for one lacking such patina, but with more of its finish. I agree with my Scottish colleague. I have seen them in Zinc on black peaked caps, too; I have the sense that the Zink ones are less common. Congratulations on an authentic piece.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X