Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General's tunic

Hi everyone
    I am new here and would be happy if you give me your oppinions on this general's tunic from Weitze! Many thanks in advance
    Dave

Hi Dave
    Welcome on board
    The tunic and the insignias look good to me, although I doubt that they belong together. The collar tabs doesn't reall match to the shoulderboards. I also don't really like how the collar tabs and shoulder boards are sewed. But this is just my oppinion (feeling) and I of course could be wrong.

Comment

Hi

Those General's tunics are tough. Is the tunic named. I do not see in my opinion anything wrong with the tunic. The gold bullion shoulder boards tend to age and they get a nice patina . The celleron collar boards tend to keep very bright and shinny even after 60 plus years. More detailed photos of the inside collar boards, eagle and SB are needed.

Juan

Comment

I know a lot of collectors shy away from the piped generals’ due to the arty upgrade factor. I would always look at a piped with extra caution and pics would not be enough. You really need to handle it to get a good read. All the parts on this one are wholly original. You also need to look at who is offering it. Some dealers I would look at with a bit more suspicion.

Comment

I would say that this one has a chance, but I don't see truly equal wear and age on the insignia, at least fromt he pics, so I would certainly want to check it out in person. I'd love to get a look at the lining on the interior around the arm pits. The sewing is pretty well done, IMO, but there are certainly others on the Forum with more experience in that area. Lack of any provenance on something like this will always scare me more than a little...

Don
          Last edited by DonC; 12-20-2006, 09:45 AM.

Comment

The same dealer had this collar tabs in a set with a pair of shoulderboards for sale on his website recently. If you compare them you will see that they are the same.
            So in my opinion there is the arty upgrade factor with this tunic.

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Those tabs are indeed an exact match.

Hi Dave, welcome to you too!
              Is this tunic being offered as a "put together" or "restoration"?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade

The tunic is being offered as untouched original tunic and came directly from a private household.

Cheers
                Bob

Comment

Well I guess my watch the dealer caveat was warranted. Those are the tabs. Just look at the moth hole on the one. It is not being sold as restored. Here is the translated description.

“Armed forces geschoente field blouse for a major general elegant manufacturing around 1939. Field blouse in field-grey gabardine in fine officer quality, dark-greener collar. The Aermelaeufschlaege, row of buttons and collar red paspeliert. The collar mirrors in gold handgestickt on red reason by machine sewn, inserted shoulder pieces in matte gold/silver network for generals, gilded buttons. On the chest loops for long volume clip, iron cross 1. Class 1914 with repetition clip 1939 as well as 2 further putting badges. On the right chest side loops for the German cross in gold. Inside with dark-green silk fodder, cutter label "Fritz Grohnert king mountain i/Pr.", with inserted slot and ring for carrying the Offiziersdolches. The chest eagle was separated 1945 in the war shank. Easily carried in very beautiful unaffected original state. The field blouse originates directly from a private household and still was in no collection.”

Comment

Unbelievable!!! Words are not enough to describe the situation nowadays .

Comment

Tony it does not shock me a bit. There are two dealers located in the same country that consistently have uniform and headgear items that lets just say need a second look. I have been saying this for a while and some just keep running to their defense. Lets go back a while and look at the named generals thread from the other dealer where I tried to explain that IMO the name tag was postwar added. Here is your proof people, wake up. The funny thing is I was told on the phone by another member regarding the other generals’ thread that “the old guard collectors just laugh at people like me, we are just too paranoid”.

Comment

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to getcha! A great piece of detective work there!

Don

Comment

Wow! Incontrovertible proof of insignia tampering much along the same lines as the recent switched helmet liner controversy. Can't argue against the photos. Thank you for posting.

Aside from the obvious dealer ethics problem presented here, what scares me is that in the underside photo of the collar, the sewing looks to me to be particularly well done. No obvious trace of previous insignia. If this is indeed an upgraded artillery tunic, now both tunic and insignia have been damaged as fine historical artifacts...presumably for financial gain. I'd love to hear the dealer's response.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
                            Tony it does not shock me a bit. There are two dealers located in the same country that consistently have uniform and headgear items that lets just say need a second look. I have been saying this for a while and some just keep running to their defense. Lets go back a while and look at the named generals thread from the other dealer where I tried to explain that IMO the name tag was postwar added. Here is your proof people, wake up. The funny thing is I was told on the phone by another member regarding the other generals’ thread that “the old guard collectors just laugh at people like me, we are just too paranoid”.
                            Dear Friend Nick, I read you loud and clear . I just can not get along with their nerve such us the following :"never been in other collection before" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TONY Q.W. View Post
                              Dear Friend Nick, I read you loud and clear . I just can not get along with their nerve such us the following :"never been in other collection before" etc.

I am with you brother. If people like me are truly being laughed at by the “old guard” I am dying to see what the “old guard” have in their collections. In all fairness I do think the person that told me this was exaggerating a bit but this just goes to show how naive and trusting some collectors are. I am sure it will just be a matter of time until one of those collectors steps up on this thread and try’s to say “how do you know for sure those are the same tabs?”

Anyone want to reevaluate the Pausinger thread?
                              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=generals

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X