My Destroyer fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outstanding collection Hubert!
    I love the stone mint boxed Schwerin Destroyer.
    You know where to find me if you ever deside to part with this one.

Best regards,
    André

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
      Hi Hubert,

Fantastic find!

If I'm not mistaken your badge is in fact a mint example of the very rare DC# 5.1.4, that is to say, I believe it's actually zinc. It's only the third example I've ever seen (here are the other two). To me they looked like mint zinc badges and I presume they had a flash undercoating that allowed them to preserve their finish so nicely?

Out of curiosity, what does it look like if you place that Destroyer next to your mint zinc Deumer Minesweeper badge? (Although now that I think about it, maybe not a fair comparison since I don't think the Minesweepers had a copper flash undercoating.)

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Hi Norm,
      It looks you are correct! This Deumer Destroyer is most likely made of zinc and is covered with copper undercoating I could not notice that until I compared it with my tombak Deumer. Since this zincer is mint you cannot see the copper under the final finish but the gilt has definitely different color than on tombak one, it is more red gold while on the tombak the gilt is typical yellow gold. The red color of the gilt must be comming from copper underlayer.
      I also put on the comparison picture below my tombak and zinc Deumer minesweepers and on them the color of the gilt is the same yellow gold. I cannot see the traces of copper undercoating on the zinc Minesweeper - it this case the beautiful shape of the gilt and silvering must be the result of high quality finish as on AS 2nd pattern S-boots.
      I am galso lad to find out those zinc Deumer destroyers are so rare
      Thanks a lot!
      Cheers,
      Hubert
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hlynur76 View Post
        Beautiful fleet you got there Hubert.

Can we have a group portrait?
        Here you go Hlynur
        Cheers,
        Hubert
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
          Hi Norm,
          It looks you are correct! This Deumer Destroyer is most likely made of zinc and is covered with copper undercoating I could not notice that until I compared it with my tombak Deumer. Since this zincer is mint you cannot see the copper under the final finish but the gilt has definitely different color than on tombak one, it is more red gold while on the tombak the gilt is typical yellow gold. The red color of the gilt must be comming from copper underlayer.
          I also put on the comparison picture below my tombak and zinc Deumer minesweepers and on them the color of the gilt is the same yellow gold. I cannot see the traces of copper undercoating on the zinc Minesweeper - it this case the beautiful shape of the gilt and silvering must be the result of high quality finish as on AS 2nd pattern S-boots.
          I am galso lad to find out those zinc Deumer destroyers are so rare
          Thanks a lot!
          Cheers,
          Hubert
          Thanks for the clarification Hubert. Yes indeed, a rare variant. That's an awesome shot of your four Deumer badges, and also the big group shot! Great badges and nice sharp images.

Is that done with your Epson 1670 scanner? It has almost no shadows.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Thanks Norm
            No, my Epson scanner is fast and easy but the scans are blurry and have bad colors. I also gave up taking pictures with my Nikon on the tripod since it takes too much time
            Those were taken from hand with my mobile phone Samsung S4 in natural sun light but I used a the shadow box to eliminate the shadows
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Comment

Thanks Norm
              No, my Epson scanner is fast and easy but the scans are blurry and have bad colors. I also gave up taking pictures with my Nikon on the tripod since it takes too much time
              Those were taken from hand with my mobile phone Samsung S4 in natural sun light but I used a the shadow box to eliminate the shadows
              Cheers,
              Hubert
              Wow, that's a new level of quality for a cell phone photo. Could you show a photo of the shadow box?

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Ok, but do not laugh, it is really simple thing, it costs 10-15 eur On the other hand very practical due to small size 50x50 cm and it is foldable.
                Cheers,
                Hubert
                Attached Files

Comment

Here, for comparison, are scans of this Kassel show finds of mine, much worse quality than taken with Samsung S4... My scanner is old Epson Perfection 1660 Photo.
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Hubert. I like it

Comment

Wow some stunning examples! And they look great in the group shot.

Comment

Ok, but do not laugh, it is really simple thing, it costs 10-15 eur On the other hand very practical due to small size 50x50 cm and it is foldable.
                        Cheers,
                        Hubert
                        Hi Hubert,

Few more questions if I may. Was it only sunlight? Any additional lighting? I presume no flash used?

Best regards,
                        ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Adam S. View Post
                          Wow some stunning examples! And they look great in the group shot.
                          Thanks Adam!
                          Cheers, Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                            Hi Hubert,

Few more questions if I may. Was it only sunlight? Any additional lighting? I presume no flash used?

Best regards,
                            ---Norm
                            Hi Norm,
                            No flash, no additional lighting, just sunlight at sunny day around noon, no clouds at all.
                            Cheers,
                            Hubert

Comment

Hi Guys,
                              I managed to add several new destroyers to my collection

First one is zinc Schwerin in very nice condition as for the zincer. This is type 1.1.6 in the Classification system. I was looking for such nice Schwerin zincer quite long since they usualy loose their gilt which fades to olive grey.
                              Enjoy!
                              Hubert
                              Attached Files

Comment

Second is zinc F&B, marked L/21 on the pin. This is type 6.6.2 in the Classification system. This is very hard to find variant.
                                Cheers,
                                Hubert
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X