X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bmw r12

Hello all,

just thought to share my BMW R12.
    Got it from Poland but original surfaced from Russia.
    Its a 1938 bike and with received details from BMW the frame and engine have 3 weeks production/delivery difference.

Frame delivered to Heerezeugamt Munich and engine to Heereszeugamt Ingolstadt.

Got the bike this year and I am working it to get it rebuild as good as possible what is from my view right thing when you donĀ“t have prooven history on such a vehicle.

Currently all is apart and get analyzed, also frame is getting corrected. After sandblasting the Steib BW38 I found out bad sheet metal quality in the boats floor and sides. Boat reveived front and middle new floor with 1mm metal sheet. My goal & wish is all is finished sometime next year end of spring.

First photo as I got the bike, and boat details after sand blasting and current stage and the sandblasted frame before its correction.
    Attached Files

A very good looking BMW R-12.
    But it seems the Polish restorers did bad work not cutting away the rust and weld in new body parts on the side car, before selling it.

DeMil

Comment

nope they didnt, it was also not visible with the paint.
      The sandblasting showed then the truth.
      But the price was right when I got it so I can restore all nicely.
      Its a actually a Russian restoration. Sad I dont know the war history about it.

Comment

I know what you are talking about Robert.
        I have restored some Wehrmacht Vehicles and after sandblasting - always you will find rust holes, in places you didn`t see before.
        On one of my cars, after sandblasting in a place with doble sheet metal, we find a lot of rust

So when restoring Wehrmacht cars, motorbikes etc. it is very important to cut away the smallest places with rust otherwise is will pop up again after some years.

DeMil
        Attached Files

Comment

The bad thing would be if you pay like 45-60k for a R75 or KS and then find such issues... Of course can happen to any WW2 vehicle.

Comment

Robert,
            that is one lovely unit, I am envious of you.

Its not just ww2 vehicles that have rust, this is the sidecar floor pan from my Ural, that I did up to use for re-enactment. I think the lesson is, you can never tell bodges have occurred in the past, so plan for the worst.

Jon
            Attached Files

Comment

nice Ural, still look for good nice pair of repro metal boxes

Comment

What about these.

http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/catalog...oducts_id=3013

Comment

yes I think will go with those.
                  He has also some nice spare parts.
                  Got from him a new glas for the sidecar front fender light.

my from friend from the US called the function of the original faded Glas light of hope ...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X