BMW R75 Tactical markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW R75 Tactical markings

Hi, I have recently restored and painted my 1943 R75. I need to add tactical markings. I know what markings I'm using, but not sure where they go on the bike / sidecar. Any advice is appreciated, I'm going to use a Division symbol, the motor cycle unit symbol and the Divisional HQ symbol.

would be nice to see some photos of your R75.
    You find many wartime photos online from this bike, as I know R75 markings on the B2 boat front and back side.
    I for one, pending on its taste would not put them on.

Comment

Hi,
      Yes, lets see what insignia you are planning, I am not sure you can have a motorcycle unit symbol and a divisional HQ symbol on the same vehicle, they are usually two separate units within a division.

cheers lennard

Comment

I have attached a few things grabbed online, note the motorcycle messenger symbol, the HQ symbol for a Panzer Grenadier Div HQ and the #5 dice symbol for 20 PZG Division in 1945...So if the motorcycle symbol is incorrect, then just HQ and division? Where would they go? Also is a photo of the bike - it's a 1943.tacsym1.gif
        Attached Files

Comment

1200px-20th_Panzergrenadier_Division_Logo.svg.png
          Attached Files

Comment

One more of the bike........

20200807_144902.jpg

Comment

those are lovely big bikes

Comment

Hi ,
                What you can have according to the Gliederung PzG Div chart is a small motorcycle troop within the Regimental headquarters company, which also contains a signals troop, and anti-tank troop and an MG Troop.

So your tatical sign should be a motorised oblong with a small motorcycle sign inside it, with square regimmental flag on top of it or an R to the right of it.

Those tactical signs you have shown, I believe are more for being used on maps rather than vehicles.

The obvious position for the sign would be on the rear and front of your sidecar just where you ahve the Notek light fitted. The Notek is a very unusual item to see on a motorcycle, do you also have the rear Notek light fitted and its variable lumination switch. ?

cheers lennard

Comment

Link from Hommes site: https://www.wehrmachtsgespann.de/new...kbl/018-GB.htm
                  Photo from a model kit.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi 29THPZG,
                    Nicely done bike, its very much of a coincidence that my BMW R75 is also 1943, first week of August to be precise and is also signaged for a motorcycle unit within a larger unit. In my case I have two sets of insignia, both for Fallschirmjager units in Normandy.(magnetic attachments)

For your info, I am not sure of course what division you eventually want to represent as your handle is the 29th PzG Div, and the 5 dice badge you have shown can be both the 20th PzG Div or the very late 8th Pz Div.

But also choosing an division that was on the East front or the West / South front will make a difference to the visual layout of the insignia.

My two insignia, are Western front, one for a motorcycle troop in the HQ of Fallschirm Regt 9 (3 FJ Div) and one for the motorcycle troop in the 12 Kp of Fallschirn Regt 6. (2 FJ Div), neither unit have got divisional signs that are prooven, so none shown..Insignia is repeated on the rear of the sidecar body.

The attached diagram represents two ways of showing the same information, in this case the HQ motorcycle troop of either Pz Gren Rgt 76 and 90 of the 20 PzG Div. for example.

cheers lennard

DSCN0810.JPG
                    DSCN0812.JPG
                    pictures_0001.jpg

Comment

Well I'm going for 20th PZG, so no MC platoon at Div HQ? Thank You for the diagrams, I'm hoping my shaky hands can draw it out properly! Perhaps a few days without coffee!

Comment

Were the markings always white? These SS Nordalnd vehicles in Berlin, 1945 seem to have black or dark markings.....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                          No MC platoon in a PzGren Div HQ as far as I know, but you really need to see an original Gliederung for the 20 PzG Div to know for sure, but I can tell you that the 29th PzG Div did not, but there was one in each of the PzGren Regt HQ companies. Is that not what your initial query asked ??

The 20th PzG Div is an East front unit, was nowhere else, so your insignia needs to look like the attached diagram, the large square round the insignia is black. These are typical later war East front markings.

Marking colours vary, mainly white, some yellow, but when vehicles began to be dark yellow from early 1943 onwards, black began to be seen more often. That VW 166 of Nordland is showing a tactical sign (a pennant) for the divisional HQ.

No coffee, wow, my insignia are all hand painted on the R75, just need to concentrate. :-)

Would be an idea to remove your Notek, they are really not meant for bikes (despite a very few WW2 photos) and if you do not have a rear one fitted and its variable illumination switch, it serves no purpose. And then you can use the space for insignia. just a thought.

I have a Lafette 34 in my sidecar, its one of a group of bikes that support the MG carrier bike, they never operate by themselves, always have other bikes for support and protection.

So what is your frame number if do not mind telling me, mine is 763128,

IMG_20190531_111818524.jpg
                          pictures_0002.jpg
                          cheers lennard

Comment

Of course, it's still matching numbers - 760953, can you tell me rough production date? Thank You for the diagram, I will let you see the results!

Comment

that is a mid 1943 number

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X