Fakes U-Boat china

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fakes U-Boat china

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4078&item=22945999 36&rd=1

What strange things people manufacture ...a china cream jug, with underneath it 'Bauscher-Weiden, Keil, Unterseeboot U1009''... Not even a simple name like Kiel can be spelled correct. China never bore the name of any ship, unless it was especially made, f.i as Christmaspresent.

eBay U-boat Gem.

Key in U-Boat and all the "Gems" of the day pop up.
    There is one gent in Canada who sells on an almost weekly basis articles from " the estate of a RCN officer" , there then follows a small by the way history of the surrender of U-190. (See below)
    The items are " linked" to the estate of this deceased officer and by the look of things this gent must have ignored everything that was desirable and selected everything which was a "Gem" to " take home" as a " vet. bring back".
    All sorts of wonderful items can be had .
    Silver nappkin rings , "U-Boat" Soap, books by the boat load ( pardon the word play) , strong boxes ( made from tin!) , a set of 10x50 sand coloured Dialyt , a set of 6 x 30 , all described as U-boat binoculars, playing cards , post cards, board games , all described as "U-boat".
    Having an interst in optics I had to ask , what were these 2 x sets doing on a U-Boat ?
    "Well everything was in short supply and they might have been used".
    Are you sure all this came from a U-boat . " That is how they were described to us"

Description: It's difficult to imagine that a bar of soap survived almost 60 years in the attic of the Royal Canadian Naval Officer without deteriorating. Measures 1" thick by 2 1/4" x 4". Embossed "Garantiert Reine Kernseife". This would be the type of item found in a museum's display, next to the personal items of a U-Boat Officer or sailor. Excellent condition after 60 years! Shows some storage age. Acquired on Feb. 22, 1945 when U-190 surrendered to the allies off of Canada. As taken by the RCN Officer off of the U-Boot 190. The U-190 was a Type IXC/40 submarine which was launched in 1941 and commissioned in 1942. It's last Commander was Statf. Hans Edwin Reith who was a POW until 1947. The sub patrolled the North Atlantic, US Coast, North Brazil Coast, West Africa and during late 1944, the North Atlantic. On May 16, 1945, the U-Boat arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia. During 1947, it was sunk by the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN). U-190 is credited with sinking the SS Empire Lakeland (7015 tons) and PM Esquimalt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...500827613&rd=1<!-- End Description -->

Buyer beware indeed! ( As eBay are keen to point out).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by behblc; 12-23-2004, 08:28 AM. Reason: Add link

Comment

May be this "KEIL" was not meant as "KIEL" but one of the crew members that had his own China on board of the U-1009 ....

MfG,
      Bart

Comment

U-boat, the new magic name to sell anything. Leather jackets, as worn by all the KM naval personell are certainly U-Boatjackets. Binoculars, the same, they are called U-Boatbino's, while you could also name them Schnellboot or Bismarckbino's, or even coastal artillerybino's. If the Vorpostenboote would become popular all of a sudden, they would be could that way.

I've seen the U-190 items. Would it only have been a few items, then the story might have been true, but when it becomes a pallet full...

Bart,

I agree that personalized items exists, but have you seen how the Keil is 'printed'? It seems like being done at the factory. And why should you want to have your own creamjug?

regards,

Maurice

Comment

... I agree that personalized items exists, but have you seen how the Keil is 'printed'? It seems like being done at the factory. And why should you want to have your own creamjug?
          Maurice ... I was just kidding ...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X