This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K98k Cleaning Kits.

As a German sniper rifle collector, I always had an interest in super clean, complete and unusual Reininungsgerät 34 cleaning kits. Few seem to be found in the manner in which they were issued, or in mint condition. The late-war styles are especially unique. Various styles of oiler and chain pullthrough can be found.

Here is a mint unissued late-war tobacco tin I found today.
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Here is how this one is packed. Can anyone tell me what is unusal about this kit?
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The other end contains the cotton cleaning strings.
      Attached Files
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The contents. At some point in the war, the floorplate takedown tool was not always included.
        Attached Files
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn
          Here is how this one is packed. Can anyone tell me what is unusal about this kit?
          Willi, Looks like it's got an extra brush to me...The one mounted to the lid...Bodes

Comment

You are correct bodes....seldom encountered like that.

Here is a '44 dated example. Includes the very rare style of pullthrough. Bakelite oiler.
            Attached Files
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

And a very rare '45 dated example in ordnance tan. Note the very rough stamped steel oiler and the matching maker-marked and dated floorplate takedown tool.
              Attached Files
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

And a very rare '45 dated example in ordnance tan. Note the very rough stamped steel oiler and the matching maker-marked and dated floorplate takedown tool.
                Willi....Very Nice '45 dated kit.... Those are quite scarce.....Bodes

Comment

Willi

Willi,

It was told to me quite sometime ago that RG cans with the "clasp" in the lid were for the MP40.... might be worth your time to measure the diameter of the bore brush.

Robert

Comment

Robert, is the 'Clasp' in the lid not a spring to make the lid pop open when you release the catch? Thats what I thought it was. Willi, you have some very nice kits there in mint condition! The type of oiler and pull through chain in the '45 dated one I have never seen! do you think the RG34 with the extra brush was issued that way or the soldier just shoved it in?
                    Cheers
                    Matt

Comment

Clasp

Originally posted by Gebirgsjager77
                      Robert, is the 'Clasp' in the lid not a spring to make the lid pop open when you release the catch? Thats what I thought it was. Willi, you have some very nice kits there in mint condition! The type of oiler and pull through chain in the '45 dated one I have never seen! do you think the RG34 with the extra brush was issued that way or the soldier just shoved it in?
                      Cheers
                      Matt
                      Hi,

No, the clasp or catch as seen in the lid was put there for holding the brush as shown.

Robert

Comment

Thankyou very much Robert
                        Matt

Comment

Hi Robert, I measured all the brushes with a caliper. I found that brush to be the same as the others, and I checked several kits. I found the wire brush to be about .33" in diameter. For a 9mm, I would have expected to see at least .36".

Here are several floorplate takedown tools......top to bottom, early to late.
                          Attached Files
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Oiler variations. Top to bottom...pre-war to very late-war.
                            Attached Files
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Pullthrough variations. Top to bottom...pre-war with brass ftting to very late-war with crude stamped steel and wire. The bottom two are '44 and '45 manufacture. The difference in the two is amazing, for just one year difference in manufacture. It is the study of these silly details that still make the hobby fascinating to me. Always something new to figure out.
                              Attached Files
                              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X