Black mapcase help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black mapcase help

Hi all, I picked this up last week, it's the first black one I've seen, but I'm hoping you all have seen it before. It's in nearly immaculate condition, my only worry is that the previous owner believes it to be SS. We all know everything slightly different is often claimed as "SS". The mark on the inside is hardly legible, I believe the date is 1942, the rest is anyones guess. All opinions are greatly appreciated. Greg
    Attached Files

Inside Marking
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by greg.hays
      Inside Marking
      It's gorgeous and if it's a repro(I quite don't like the stamp though!)I'll sell my whole collection and move into the desert and become friends with Tony O's lizards,geckos and tarantulas!
      Manny
      P.S.;maker's code could be dta or dfc..............both produced leatherware,but I'd love to see it embossed on the leather....imho that's the only thing iffy!)

Comment

Hi

Thats a great map case ist very rare finding with this kind of leather, normally they are made as the pebbled type leather, I mean the late ones. I agree as manny said it must be one of those two "d??" makers.
        Tree letter cose stamped map cases are rearly found, I own and have only seen the code bml 1942 and 43 (Hans Römer) before. Nice find.

Regards
        Kim

Comment

Thanks guys, That was quick! Any opinions on the SS issue. The owner believe it or not was a member of the HJ and an American WWII veteran who now lives in Germany. He said that it was either an NCO's or SS as, according to him these would be the only soldiers with a black mapcase? Greg

Comment

Btw

Sometime maker markings can be found on the very tip of the backside straps. At least on the old ones.
            Some other suggestions to the maker could be dkk, ddf,dmb,ddy etc. There are 23 different "d" tree letter codes, who are related to leather makers IMO I still find it hard to deciphre.

Kim
            Last edited by kmh; 07-25-2004, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmh
              Btw

Sometime maker markings can be found on the very tip of the backside straps. At least on the old ones.
              Some other suggestions to the maker could be dkk, ddf,dmb,ddy etc. There are 23 different tree letter codes, who are related to leather makers IMO I still find it hard to deciphre.

Kim
              That's correct Kim...and since you're the forum's"leatherware guru"couldn't be different!
              They were usually made in pebbled leather and trhat makes this pouch a rare bird!
              I tried and figure out the code,but the second letter could well be an F or a T in my opinion!It nevertheless remain a GORGEOUS map case!
              Manny
              P.S;checked again the stamping...it looks 101% real ande has been stamped twice,hence...........very likely two letters,even if three could be considered!

Comment

Regarding the SS

All equipment after somewhat 1942 even long before??? Was the same for all branches of the German armed forces, some rear echalons guy's got outdated items and some others like firedepd. and probably some parts of police etc. have some sligthly differents sometime civilian equipment.

But I have never heard about the SS in 42 got special made equipment, only thing it could happen to be a private purchase by special order of a high ranking member?? But very unlikely.

IMO all talk about the SS is only stories made up for earning more money.

Regards
                Kim

Comment

Is there a dts three letter code? Looking at it here in person the last letter looks like a double stamped S. Again you guys are good, I was worried this piece was too good, thanks for all your input. Greg

Comment

Hi
                    The other tree letter code I know related to dt is dta, dtu and dtv but according to Pawlas a maker code "dts" real name; Dorndorf Schuhfabrik Mannheim, am Flughafen are mentioned, It could very likely be him thats the maker.

Regards
                    Kim

Comment

[QUOTE=derspiess63]It's gorgeous and if it's a repro(I quite don't like the stamp though!)I'll sell my whole collection and move into the desert and become friends with Tony O's lizards,geckos and tarantulas!
                      Manny

Manny, actually I've moved to Bagdad's desert. Next Sunday a have to meet with Alladin and Jasmine. After all, life is not that bad over here as I had imagined. The word goes that they had it with the high end life and their palace and they are willing to exchange it with my little desert place of mine including five lizards three geckos (actually I kept one) and the seven tarantulas of mine.

I'll keep you posted of the situation

All the Best,
                      Tony

Comment

Hello Greg !!!
                        I would say it's nice mid war mapcase - can You put some more pictures - back.. inside ??
                        cheers !!
                        mike

Comment

It's not SS or Paratrooper!!

Comment

The quality of the leather on this one is much better than any reproduction smooth mapcase that I've seen. At the front puts out a smooth leather one that is made in China. I swear, I don't know how the Chinese have infused plastic into its cows, but the leather found on these is damn near naugahyde it has such a plastic look to it in real life. Regardless, here's a copy of the one put out by ATF. This one is nice looking, but still won't pass like the one above:

Comment

Thanks again guys, here are some more pics. All scans, because my digital camera is ticking me off . A reverse shot and a side shot. Greg
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X