MG34/42 ammo box question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MG34/42 ammo box question

Were all the metal ammo boxes for the MG's for belt fed ammo produced from aluminum?
    Richard V

can

No most were of steel..wfg

Comment

I'm with Bill on this one,even if I've more often encountered aluninum ones rather than later type steel ones (Patr.Kast.41 f. MG)!

Best
      Manny

Comment

Richard,

No, they were found in both aluminum and steel.

Additionally, there was a belt box known as "Patronenkasten 41" which differed in that it had a rubber seal inside the lid like the US ammo boxes. It is typically marked on the front of the box below the latch.

It is popularly claimed that the aluminum boxes were for use by airborne and alpine troops but were probably used by all troops.

FWIW
        Harry

Comment

Originally posted by Mg34gunner
          Richard,

No, they were found in both aluminum and steel.

Additionally, there was a belt box known as "Patronenkasten 41" which differed in that it had a rubber seal inside the lid like the US ammo boxes. It is typically marked on the front of the box below the latch.

It is popularly claimed that the aluminum boxes were for use by airborne and alpine troops but were probably used by all troops.

FWIW
          Harry
          Welcome aboard Harry...we posted just about the same reply at the same time !
          Best
          Manny
          Last edited by derspiess63; 06-27-2004, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thanks, Manny, I've been at this for a long time but have only recently discovered this terrific forum.

Great photos! Now to my question: What camera are you using? I am in the market for a good digital camera, primarily to take nice detailed closeups such as those I see posted here. I don't want to spend a huge sum of money however.any recommendations?

Sooner I get a good camera, the sooner I can start posting photos of my treasures.
                  I collect Heer field equipment primarily, most especially machineguns and thier accoutrements.

Harry

Comment

Very nice tan can Manny, I have been seeking one.

Here are two pre-war aluminum ones.

I agree that all troops used these. Some do think they are FJ issue, but I just think they are early.

Willi
                    Attached Files
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn
                      Very nice tan can Manny, I have been seeking one.

Here are two pre-war aluminum ones.

I agree that all troops used these. Some do think they are FJ issue, but I just think they are early.

Willi
                      Thank you Willi!The grey box I've shown alongside the tan "41" has a P painted on its lid, just like yours, only mine is black.....any clue about its meaning?P=patronen would be granted!Harry...you won't be allowed to post photos until you'll become an Association Member I'm afraid,so join the Association as soon as you possibly can;it'll set you back two tenners and a fiver but rest assured that they will be your most rewarding investment ever...it'll pay you dividends as soon as you'll post pictures of an item you'd like to purchase and people like Willi will tell you to stay away from it or to go for it fasterthanthis!Believe it or not but a few months ago my camera went to the big mall up in the skies and I started using the camera of my Sharp cell phone as an interim solution before buying another one;I bought another M43 feldmutze instead and I kept using my cell phone..pictures takenfrom a distance are in the same league as pictures taken with Fred Flintstone's camera, but close-up ones are terrific!
                      Best
                      Manny
                      Last edited by derspiess63; 06-28-2004, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Good.will join the Association ASAP.

Now to your question. The "P" stencilled on the beltbox designates a box which carried two rectangular oil cans for servicing/lubricating machineguns. (MG34-MG42).

Harry

Comment

Originally posted by Mg34gunner
                          Good.will join the Association ASAP.

Now to your question. The "P" stencilled on the beltbox designates a box which carried two rectangular oil cans for servicing/lubricating machineguns. (MG34-MG42).

Harry
                          You won't regret buddy !Thank you very much for the tip...does it stand for "Paraffin"?
                          Cheers
                          Manny

Comment

I have read that the aluminum cans were earlier. Later the production switched to iron simply because of the lack of aluminum, scarce strategical matherial. Don't know if this is the story, but sounds reasonably
                            The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

The "P" on the beltbox stands for "Petroleumkasten."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X