Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Fieldphone Wire/Spool Backpack

Hello,
    What is the usual price for one of the WW2 German backpacks that holds a spool of fieldphone wire? I found one that I was thinking of getting. It comes with a full spool and crank handle & costs $350. Is this a good deal ?

Thanks,
    Jon

Jon, the price is very good IF it is wartime production. These were also produced postwar in a very similar pattern. A postwar one will run you between $150 and $200. Therefore, look for proof marks. If not there, be wary.

Comment

Hi
      Agree about the comments on WaA stampings look for those but allow me letting try to give you some hint. Normally the tube frame is marked with a riveted steel plate on lowe front tube. Only markings I know about on the frame.
      The hand operated wheel and shaft for winding up/dowm the wire are markes severel places. The loos handle have stamps, the spool have WaA somewhere at the body, the shaft have normally have close to the wheel. I have found no markings on any parts of the leather gear, straps or pouch.
      But I also know so many pieces have been made over time, and I only have and had owned prewar pieces and we know prewar normally are very well marked. So!
      Hope it gives you a little more insight.

Regards
      Kim

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I am contacting the dealer now to see if there is markings or not.

Jon

Comment

Fellas,
          The dealer said, " No waffen amt, but it has a three letter code and is dated." Think it is still wartime manufacture?

Thanks for the help,
          Jon

Comment

Hi

Fair enough; The tree letter code and year! As I said before there some small parts in such a cable layer.
            I just check the markings on mine cable layer there are maker markings and WaA on the spool assy. the handle, the treadet (spelling) shaft and there are a mix of parts that ranging from 1935 to 1938.

I think the cable layer was considered as an importen "machine" to the Wehrmacht therefor all small parts was inspected and proof marked, imo all parts must have some kind of proof a WaA or tree letter code or both at least until very late in the war.

So I am still among other saying be careful and ask for pictures.

Regards
            Kim

Comment

Can you tell me the difference between post war and wartime? Would a post war be good for reenacting or is it too different? Thanks

Greg Hamilton

Comment

Greg, the postwar ones work fine for reenacting. Rick Squeri has had them for sale on occasion.

Comment

Does he have a website?

Comment

Greg.
                    I have two (2) original ones of these. With wire
                    One early, 1941/42 and one late, 1943. The 1943 is of a more simple design.
                    I have no camera, but if you need to know any details, PM me.

Example:
                    The crank on the 1941/42 rig has this marking: DRESBACH 42 HALVER plus a waffenamt mark, all located at the back of crank
                    The frame has this marking on a oval plate, SCREWED to the frame: adf 41

Cheers.
                    Peter Wiking
                    Last edited by Peter Wiking; 04-18-2004, 12:48 PM.

Comment

For reference, this one showed up on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EAWA%3AIT&rd=1.

Rick Squeri doesn't have a website. But, his e-mail address is: d12_@hotmail.com.

Peter, that one isn't yours is it? It amazes me the amount of quality German communications equipment can be found in Norway. I've never been able to figure it out.

Comment

Hi Jack,

It seems the frame is the original color. The real is repainted in the (ugly) Norwegian post-war green ... Can be removed, but this takes some time ...

Bart

Comment

Yeah, I agree Bart. Alot of this stuff must have been reissued by Norway. But, still a pretty nice set up. I am terrified of what the shipping cost would be on that to the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Melvin
                            For reference, this one showed up on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EAWA%3AIT&rd=1.

Rick Squeri doesn't have a website. But, his e-mail address is: d12_@hotmail.com.

Peter, that one isn't yours is it? It amazes me the amount of quality German communications equipment can be found in Norway. I've never been able to figure it out.
                            As i say, i´m the owner of two Cable layers. One early and one late. Still with the wire on the drums.

Cheers.
                            Peter Wiking

Comment

Ok, thought the marks were the same as yours. Also from Norway. Just a question.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X