Breadbag straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breadbag straps

Is there a surefire way to identify post war breadbag straps? I picked up a LW blue strap on the weekend that has grey painted steel hooks and fittings, but I cannot see any markings. How do I know if it's wartime manufactured or not?

Steve

Hey Steve,
    Just post a good photo or two,

Michael

Comment

I am away from home and don't have access to a digital camera or scanner. I was thinking that there might be a difference in the metal fittings or weave of the cloth or something that would be easy to identify.

Steve

Comment

The picture shows a 1962 dated breadbag I have, though not in Luft/police-blue. It is of the same construction as three originals I have. Only differences: the surface of the metallparts looks "frosted". And the postwar strap has additional seams where it would rest on the shoulder.

As said my originals do not have these features. Two original straps of the broad type do not have these either. Same is with two other I sold.

Maybe this helps a bit

Johannes
        Attached Files

Comment

So is it safe to say that post war straps will not have grey painted metal fittings? And did they ever use aluminum fittings on post war straps? I have a 1938 dated field grey strap that came with a matching 1941 dated bread bag, and it has aluminum hooks and fittings. Also, it has the additional stitching as seen on your 1962 dated strap. Any thoughts?

Steve

Comment

While in Germany,I picked up a postwar breadbag that is an exact duplicate of wartime issue in every detail, the only way I know it isn't wartime is that it is marked on the inside 'Stadt Polizei Stuttgart" and dated 1951.
            The strap is original to it, not marked, and is an exact duplicate of wartime issue.
            It is my understanding that a large number of breadbags and straps were manufactured postwar for various military and police organizations by the same companies that made wartime issue, and unless they are marked, would be almost impossible to determine if they were pre-45. In addition, a lot of wartime manufactured ones that were unissued, were later issued to postwar organizations. In other words, my breadbag may actually be wartime manufacture, and then issued to and stamped by the Stuttgart police in 1951.
            Makes definate identification a bit difficult.
            Regards,
            Johnnie

Comment

Fair enough... like so many items, it can be difficult to determine the date of manufacture based on how it is constructed alone. Thanks for the input.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X