just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just wondering

As I feal this question is dumb but aim not sure! So I was wondering has their ever been German gasmask fakes!

Hi

Not at all a dumb question!

Do you mean the gasmasks alone? Or the canisters and everything that comes with it? I do know that carrying-straps are faked. I dunno about repro canisters and gasmasks.

Be aware of post-war ones or canisters that were post-war altered ( color, other straps,etc...). Also post-war cleaning-cloths, spare-lenses,etc...are often sold as wartime ones.

Cheers

Jan
    Last edited by Jan Beazaer; 02-08-2004, 04:26 AM.
    'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

yeop.. I agree with Jean !!!.. altough they are not faked in the real meaning of that word - I dont think that anybody is maeking fakes... but they use post war stuff - especially straps.. or gas scheet pouches.

Canisters.. masks and filters are always stamped with production date - so they are easy to recognize..

but fakers do tropical.. "normandy" or snow camouflages on cans !!!

Comment

Originally posted by grovb
        As I feal this question is dumb but aim not sure! So I was wondering has their ever been German gasmask fakes!
        HI,
        yours is not at all a dumb question!Post war BW gas masks are virtually identical to WW2 ones!I've got a BW gas mask and container right before me now,and I'll try to describe it to reveal all the differences between a WW2 vintage and a post-war BW specimen.
        1)FACE PIECE:made of green rubber,ink stamped with a big "2" on the outside,no marking whatsoever on the aluminum "snout" to which the filter is screwn in.Inside is ink stamped with numbers,the date,and "DRAGER",which is the Manufacturer's name,inside a triangle.Always inside you'll find white plastic fittings inside the"snout".Straps are identical to original ones!The aluminum fittings securing the lenses are not marked while the lenses themselves are stamped"56innenseite(inner side)1447".+
        2)FILTER:again, identical to WW2 ones,ink stamped FE55 and dated.The part of the filter that screws into the face piece snout is protected by a screw-on cap and the air inlet underneath the filter is sealed by a copper-colored strip and a white polythene plastic strap.
        3)CONTAINER;Yep!ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL to the WH ones.Stamped on the lid of the small box containing the spare lenses(inside the containerìs lid!) with a long serial#, the date(1956) and the Maker's logo.The closure spring device is not marked.
        Inside the container's lid there's a black rubber gasket identical to the gasket fitted on some WW2 containers,so beware when you find these gaskets(if you ever come across any,of course!)because WW2 ones were accordingly marked,while modern ones are devoid of any visible(to me!)markings!Last but definitely not least,the container is protected by a glued-on canvas cover.These cover didn't exist in WW2 so,once again beware when you find one!Last summer one of these "Overly rare covers" was sold by a well known U.S. dealer who,according to some"is a trusted authority paid to appraise countless collections..",as an original,rare"WW2 German gas mask container cover! !
        4)CONTAINER'S STRAPS:their giveaway is the weave,which is different from the original one,being more coarse and heavier.
        All these details are nearly impossible to hide,therefore it would be quite difficult to sell one of these masks and containers as an original one...excepting its "Overly rare,original canvas cover",of course !
        Hope it helps!
        Manuel

Comment

Great explication Manu, thanks for that.

Maybe you can help me out here too. What about the leather re-enforcements that are somethimes found on the carrying-hooks of the container? I have a 1940 dated white-wash (permanent) complete gasmaskset with these leather re-enforcements. If I'm correct these leather tabs are not found on post-war ones,no? The strap and container has been together since they left the factory in 40. It seems that only pre/early-war canisters had these leather straps...never saw them on sets dated later then 41...The small leather tabs are also marked with the same maker as de canister!

I'll post some pictures asap

Cheers
          Jan
          'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Beazaer
            Great explication Manu, thanks for that.

Maybe you can help me out here too. What about the leather re-enforcements that are somethimes found on the carrying-hooks of the container? I have a 1940 dated white-wash (permanent) complete gasmaskset with these leather re-enforcements. If I'm correct these leather tabs are not found on post-war ones,no? The strap and container has been together since they left the factory in 40. It seems that only pre/early-war canisters had these leather straps...never saw them on sets dated later then 41...The small leather tabs are also marked with the same maker as de canister!

I'll post some pictures asap

Cheers
            Jan
            You're correct Jan!Not only they're not found on post-war straps,but they're not that easy to find on original WW2 ones as either, having been deleted in 1941
            Groetjes
            Manu

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation Manu!

Here are some shots of the canister. I know that the pics are blurry but every time I save for a new Digital camera, another piece of fine militaria is crossing my way

This one is named to a certain Lt. Pack.
              'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

here's a close-up of the leather tabs...
                'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation Manu!

Here are some shots of the canister. I know that the pics are blurry but every time I save for a new Digital camera, another piece of fine militaria is crossing my way
                  Pictures are clear and here they are the leather tabs!Cameras will always be there for you to buy...not so rare,original pieces!
                  Manu

Comment

the other leather re-enforcement on the lower hook. Like I said already ; this tab is marked with the same manufacturer as the container ( also the same date).
                    Interesting is the fact that the container is marked with a 2 digit code : "GL&CO",...but the leather tab has the complete name of the maker, not the abreviation.

Cheers

Jan
                    'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

the other leather re-enforcement on the lower hook. Like I said already ; this tab is marked with the same manufacturer as the container ( also the same date).
                      Interesting is the fact that the container is marked with a 2 digit code : "GL&CO",...but the leather tab has the complete name of the maker, not the abreviation.

Cheers

Jan
                      It's the way it should be....you lucky lad!
                      Manu

Comment

What is a good price to pay for a world war two gasmask and canister complete!

Comment

Also while I am at it thanks for all of your help!

grovb

Comment

[QUOTE=grovb]Also while I am at it thanks for all of your help!
                            You're welcome Grovb!
                            Manuel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X