'44 dated shovels and carriers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'44 dated shovels and carriers.

I grabbed these today from an old collection. Both carriers are made from pressed paper and leather......'44 dated and marked. Both shovels are also '44 dated and maker marked. Very tough to find.

Willi
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

mine.. jgh 1944 - you can see that straps have holes - they are made of some sort of belt - propably from captured equipment.

Willi - great stuff You have there...
    Attached Files

Comment

I agree, very difficult to find! Thanks Willi for sharing those!
      Forgive me this rather stupid question, but is the tan colored carrier linked to 'late war production' or tropical issue or just a variant?

Cheers

Jan
      'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

I would say its late war variant ... like this MG pouch .... but this is just my opinion
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mike,

So, in general, tan presstoff fieldgear is considered late-war? What is the earliest date found so far?

Cheers

Jan
          'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Hej Jan !!
            I dont think (and I dont remember) I have ever seen anythig made of presstoff dated before 1944...

Comment

I too have a MG pouch made from the same Presstoff. Could be '43 or '44 dated......will check. I think it is safe to assume that you would not see it before that timeframe....in tan. But, I think I have a folding shovel carrier in black Presstoff that is dated 1943 (?). Will have to check. I also have K43 ZF4 scope covers made with black and tan Presstoff components. No, they are not tropical..late-war issue. Not sure why they used tan, perhaps to save black dye. Or just the shift to ordnance tan.

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi

Just fun and interresting seeing your tan carrier. I have one with the same maker mark "jqh" and not jgh as you mention 1944 and tan as well. I never have seen tan carriere before 44 in addition I also have another 44 but just normal black so the tan could/must be very late 44.
                Question?
                What tree letter code do the one of yours have Willi?? It could happen to be the same maker only produced the tan onces.

Regards
                Kim

Originally posted by Kuligow
                mine.. jgh 1944 - you can see that straps have holes - they are made of some sort of belt - propably from captured equipment.

Willi - great stuff You have there...

Comment

Nice!

Superb items on display
                  Just to add to the comments that these are late war, that is certainly the consensus in my small part of the world, i too have not seen a date earlier than '44. I passed on a tan entrenching tool cover about two years ago...since that time i've been looking for one and haven't seen one since
                  Very nice items Gents!

All the best,

Patrick.
                  Last edited by Patrick Dempsey; 01-11-2004, 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Here is my MG pouch (gut 1943) and another tan shovel carrier (can't find a marking).
                    Attached Files
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Here is a folding shovel and carrier. Both are dated 1941. The carrier is marked "agv" and the shovel has 3 letters, but I can't make them out. Note is is made from Presstoff and leather. Am beginning to think that Presstoff held it's shape better than leather. Shovels are rather tough to remove if the leathe rgets misshapen.
                      Attached Files
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

And here is a closeup of the top two shovels and carriers. The black carrier is marked "gac '44" and the shovel marked "obp '44". The tan carrier has only a "WaA" and an eagle, can't find anything else.....the shovel has an animal emblem (not sure what) and is dated 1944.

Someone ask me, via PM, how to tell good from bad. My rule of thumb is that I NEVER buy a shovel that is not marked and dated...and I NEVER buy one that has been repainted or does not have some of it's original black paint. Rather simplistic, but there are so many other styles that closely resemble German WWII issue shovels. Same goes for carriers......

Willi
                        Attached Files
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Paint

Willie: i got a ? for you, are original shovels painted black or blued like a gun was blued. Bill V

Comment

Hi
                            My experience with shovels is that the folding shovel always came with if original! With some kind of black layer/paint over the steel. Naturally worn off if used on the lower part of the shovel.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>
                            The strait late shovel like the 1944 came in the black with the appearance like the original steel plate from where the blade is cut out. No paint no treatment no nothing except for stamping the year and maker sometime tree letter code or a trademark / symbol.
                            Regards

Kim

Originally posted by Bill V
                            Willie: i got a ? for you, are original shovels painted black or blued like a gun was blued. Bill V

Comment

[QUOTE=Willi Zahn]And here is a closeup of the top two shovels and carriers. The black carrier is marked "gac '44" and the shovel marked "obp '44". The tan carrier has only a "WaA" and an eagle, can't find anything else.....the shovel has an animal emblem (not sure what) and is dated 1944.

Hi Willi. I have the same model as the black carrier and shovel. They are original wartime beyond any doubt. I've got these from a farmer in my home village where the Germans left some equipment when they fled in april 1945.

But I can't find the markings. Can I find these at a fixed place or could they be placed anywhere (if any)?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X