Attention: Goggle info badly needed !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention: Goggle info badly needed !

Again I'm asking some attention to gain new or better information for the so called Blendschutzbrille,Splitterbrille or Shattergoggles...

These types are heavily faked and it's hard to detect from pics which are originals..
    The first fakes were very sloppy ones ,but they're getting better..

I hope to find some info in howmany bad types there're at the moment.

In the badges forum we often manage to detect many fakes ,but equipment is another story..
    Time after time these goggles show up in somewhat different appearance..often with their storage tins..

It would be nice to share as many info about the fakes here..
    These goggles are rather expensive so we need good info..

Strange thing is that many dealers have them...

Where do they come from ?
    I guess the Eastern countries..,I've heard France for some..
    Someone has to know something...

Nice thing would be to post pictures of the known fakes here ,so we've a referance later on.
    I guess many people are burned with these or still don't know yet..
    It's a very difficult topic for there're very good fakes IMO.

I'll start posting some pics of a obvious fake ,we'll see where it'll end.

Jos.
    Attached Files

This is not one of the best fakes ,it's a starter..

The tin is a fake too..
    Attached Files

Comment

Jos, all I can do is confirm that these probably are ( also) made in eastern-europe. On the Ciney-show last time, there were those polish young ' students' selling them at 350 Euro, which is a very good price if original, but I doubt it strongly. Anyway, I will go this month too ( 26th october) and try to take some pictures of them...

Good luck in the research!

Cheers
      Jan
      'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Hi Jos,

Lets find the maker of these fakes and castrate them.......
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Héhéhéé John,
          I guess finding them is pretty hard,that why I'm asking..

Not much response yet in this matter..
          I guess less people do have a pair of these or don't care /know whether these are good or not.
          That's one of the reasons I've brought it up..

The first fakes were obvious like many other stuff ,but now it's getting harder to detect ,I guess..

Ofcourse originals are out there ,even mint in storage containers ,but I'd like to know the small differences they have with todays fakes..

It might be many of these come outof the closet nowadays for the prices are high and interesting...,I don't know and I like all information available in this forum..

Any rumor can be a hint in this case..

So ,the secret word for now is "goggles"....,and I mean not the rubber-framed ones.

Jos.

Comment

I had a pair of goggles the same as your first picture Jos,
            when i got them I thought they were wrong so i sent them back to the dealer and got my money back.
            I then bought a pair from a friend here in ireland which came from the USA. These are the third pattern with soft silky strap and artificial brown leather pouch and are 100%
            o.k. This summer I was in the U.K. at the arms fair at Beltring and over heard a Belgium dealer talking to an English dealer who said can you get any more of the shatterproof goggles. The responce from the Belgian was
            Teh people who made these goggles in the Chech rep. had stopped making them because there wass to much work involved and he said they were basically lazy. I have pictures of mine. but I can't post them here, because I am not a full member. I've yet to see the silky type-elastic strap on the fake goggles plus the plastic frames seem a kind of matt black finish.
            Regards Paul.

Comment

Very interesting Paul,
              Yes ,they also came in the artificial pouches..
              Is the pouch marked inside ?
              If you want I can post pics for you ,I've sent you a mail with my email address.

I guess not only the Chechs are making these goggles nowadays when big money is involved..

Jos.

Comment

Thanks, Jos i will take you up on the offer of posting for me. The pouch is marked ,or should i say stamped ,with the number 10-91 A-2. I will get my sister in law to take a few shots with her digital camera, then forward them on.I just got a realy nice Luftwaffe, side cap last week, with yellow piping.It came from long standing collection here in Ireland, and i had been after it for a long time.Some one said these are hard to come by. regards Paul.

Comment

Not much news yet...?!

Nobody interested in these..,or has any info..??

Jos.

Comment

I too have been shy about picking up a pair based on the fact that they are now being reproduced. Here is a pair of the 2nd variety being offered on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

What do you think? Note the size stamp on the frame. Does the elastic look correct? I am not familiar with the leather attached to the frame, nor the lack of vertical weave on the strap as shown in Prodger's book.

Comment

Hi Pedro,
                      It's hard to see,it really needs more details ,goggles might be good but the hinges aren't the original ones and are made postwar IMO...
                      It might be this goggles had some damage on the hinges and someone has repaired them...,the elastic strap is a replacement too...
                      If the frame and glasses are good it really is a start...,when the price is low..
                      Finding the original hinges is almost impossible I think...,but with a little patience they can be made by a skilled person IMO..
                      Elastic straps are often damaged or lost their elasticy,so a replacement isn't that bad for displaying the goggles..
                      Maybe you can ask better pics of the goggles ?

Jos.
                      Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 11-10-2003, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Help with RBr No for goggles

I'm after help with this Rbr no, I have no experience with these numbers.
                        the goggles are: GERMAN FLYING GOGGLES MODEL 306, ISSUED IN METAL TIN MARKED R.B. NR. 03/206/25. 1943.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi
                          Sorry to say but IMO the RB. Nr isen't that good caused by a "Nornal" RB.Nr always is made up of nine ciphers in varius strings (EG) 0/0485/0002. this number is an very normal and quit used number string seen on a lot of equipment.
                          No one haven't solved the hidden code behind the numbers, however some are known by luck.
                          Regards
                          Kim
                          Originally posted by Bill Gracie
                          I'm after help with this Rbr no, I have no experience with these numbers.
                          the goggles are: GERMAN FLYING GOGGLES MODEL 306, ISSUED IN METAL TIN MARKED R.B. NR. 03/206/25. 1943.

Comment

Hello Bill,
                            Can we see the goggles as well ?
                            I don't know the typ you've there.

Jos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos Le Conté
                              Hello Bill,
                              Can we see the goggles as well ?
                              I don't know the typ you've there.

Jos.
                              G'day Jos,
                              I don't own these goggles but was looking at purchasing, them till I came across your post.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X