Spade and cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spade and cover

I'm posting this for a friend, he is being offered this spade and cover, for 100 euro.
    What do you guys think of them?
    I have a few doubts but i'm no expert.

I see black stiching, wasn't that bad?

It looks like its marked '44, but also a stamp on one of the loops "IR 17". isn't that Infanterie Regiment 17? strange since that unit transformed into Grenadier-Regiment 17 in 1942.

Pictures:

I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
    My website: Gotrick.nl

The shovel is absolutely Swiss, and the carrier does not look right to me- probably a fake.

Comment

Cover could be anywhere, pics are too small. The spade must not be swiss, the german army in WW1 and the Reichswehr also used spades with an iron ring around the handle. Look after markings of manufacturers on the spade or maybe a date.

Comment

There was a photo with the markings, that has disappeared. The markings appeared to be RG&Cle which is a Swiss maker mark.

Comment

Strange... lemme re-upload that one.
          Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.

Comment

I've asked my friend to get more photos from the seller.
            Thanks for the opinions so far

Comment

Tobi - if You clik on the thumbnail here - it will open asa much bigger picturee !!!

Rick - tell Your friend to return it to seller - if it was sold as real thing... its a 100% fake cover and post war shovel - junk...

Comment

Thanks, thank god he didn't bought it yet! ...well as far as i know

Comment

Can you guys tell me some "red flags", my friend wants to know what is wrong with it (the cover).

Btw, another picture from him:
                  Last edited by Admiraal; 01-05-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

The seller says that the shovel is marked with:

ro-ci

Comment

Rick - tell Your friend to return it to seller - if it was sold as real thing... its a 100% fake cover and post war shovel - junk...
                      It's not such a postwar item, it's simply a Swiss military issue during the 40's but it doesn't deserve such high price
                      I've seen lots of them with a leather cover which is definitely not german, I think the code for them was commonly: "FASCH 40" or "FASCH 43", depending on the year they were made
                      BTW, is the ring the only difference with the German shovels? (or at least the position of the ring if there are Germans with ring)

Comment

i understood the real ww2 rigids were 'spot' welded...little indents seven i believe...to sandwich the two piece blade together, rather than round headed rivets

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Admiraal View Post
                          Can you guys tell me some "red flags", my friend wants to know what is wrong with it (the cover).

Btw, another picture from him:

Rick - there is not much to say - wrong material.. wrong construction, fantasy markings -

also tell Your friend to get new digital camera - pictures look like it was made with some 8 years old 1.3 megapixel

Comment

Thanks again
                            I'm gonna tell him.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X