Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wooden-soled boots

Hi,
    Can't provide any photos at present, but does anyone know anything about the German (?) wooden-soled boots with uppers of a combination of leather and a peculiar synthetic white material fastened with a leather strap?
    These are listed on one UK dealer's site as "Last-ditch end-of-war manufacturer"
    I bought a pair at one of the Military Odyssey events at least three years ago from a German guy at an attractive price (a third of that asked by the above dealer) and would like to know the facts.
    If (as they indeed look) they are wartime, with studded soles and still tied together with their original string - what is the story?
    More important do they feature in any wartime photos?
    Hope someone can help.
    Phil

You can find those boots offererd everywhere with diff. captions, like in your case "last ditch", or "KZ-shoes", "POW-shoes", etc., named anything that could attract buyers - but they are indeed workers-shoes for farmers or so, both produced in west- and east-germany after the war.

Comment

Wooden-soled boots

Hi,
      Thanks for the info - it pays to live in the right part of the world!
      With the studded soles, heel irons, grey buckles and size markings they certainly look military!
      As said before, they were cheap enough not to cause any grief.
      Now, that begs the question - anybody got a genuine unissued pair of late-war ankle-boots that need a good home?
      Thanks again!
      Phil
      Last edited by Grossfuss; 11-19-2007, 08:49 AM. Reason: space in "ankle-boots"

Comment

Boots

Phil, the good news is I know where you can find these. The bad news is, get ready, they are expensive. Of course the dollar being in the toilet will help you. Try Relic Hunter/Gerard Stelzenberger an honest man with a good boot selection. He knows his 3rd Reich footwear.

Comment

Wooden-soled boots

Hi Herr Doktor,
          Thanks for that, I'll give him a look.
          regards,
          Phil

Comment

Why military or post war? Ok havent seen the pictures. But Germans and other nations produced footwear from crap materials and leftovers to civilian population due do the wartime shortages. Soles were from one piece of wood or cut to several pieces under the sole (attached inside with leather) to give shoes some flexibility. I have two pairs. Womens sandals(two-piece "flexible" wooden sole) and full wooden soled mens clogs, upper made from leather and canvas. Heelpart(stiffener) made out of presstoff kind of material. Haven`t seen with military issue nails though...but these could be post war dealer/seller alteration to give it more III Reich look. Like what they practice on many I WW or private purchased(originally without nails) officers boot.
            Cheers
            K.

Comment

Here some of mine.
              Don`t have the picture of the mens clog unfortunately and not able to do it now.
              Womens 2piece sole sandals.

Post war farmers made clog. Only found one. The other clog was in one village next to where the nicer one came. Looks like WH camo was a post war fashion there.

Came possibly from the org TODT work camp that was situated in the same village. People told that in war time there were 2 camps inhabited by the Dutch, who worked/labored there. They were tree surgeon`s.

K.

Comment

Wooden-soled boots

Hi,
                Thanks for the photos, most interesting.
                I like the camo - I hope to post the pics of my pair in a couple of weeks.
                Best regards,
                Phil

Comment

absolutely amazing post-splinter slip-on casuals...thanks for the reach

Comment

Thanks. Camo is my favorite too.
                    Phil looking forward to see Your pair.
                    K.

Comment

14th/15th century inspiration!

Comment

Here's my set

Here's my set with the military style studded wooden soles and sold to me as "last ditch" combat boots. Cheap ersatz leather... but in unissued condition... (note that laces are modern replacements...)
                        So the theory is that these are early post war civilian work boots? That would mean that the studs were added at a later time... Looks like these have been on there forever with rust spots...Who knows?...
                        I still like them, again presented to me as 1945 boots (which makes sense to me)...
                        Still looks good on a mannequin! I'm still pleased with these as "ersatz" boots.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by NickG; 12-06-2007, 01:08 PM.

Comment

soles

Check out these soles! Markings "M.H" below that "105" below that "44", below that "21" (maker and size info I assume). I checked and 44 is not the size... a lot smaller...could this be a date? and "21" the size?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by NickG; 12-06-2007, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I would certainly put aside the theory that they are used by an army. No way. They are not maneuverable shoes. You cant fight, run and... do whatever in shoes that does not flex. If the nails are German Army ones, I would guess post war. At least nails added later. I do not think they used military hobnails on civil. footwear.? But who knows.
                            The upper pattern/design was common in these days.
                            My 2 c.

K.

Comment

Originally posted by kass View Post
                              I would certainly put aside the theory that they are used by an army. No way. They are not maneuverable shoes. You cant fight, run and... do whatever in shoes that does not flex. If the nails are German Army ones, I would guess post war. At least nails added later. I do not think they used military hobnails on civil. footwear.? But who knows.
                              The upper pattern/design was common in these days.
                              My 2 c.

K.
                              ---------------------
                              True! not maneuverable at all in these...so for static troops maybe? Like Luftwaffe AAA Flak gunners defending cities? or Volkssturm defence?Static sentry personnel had winter (over)boots also made with wooden soles...but you are probably right, not practical for combat... Thanks for your input! Nick
                              Last edited by NickG; 12-07-2007, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X