WöschlerOrden

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

feldflasche/canteen: tropical,DAK,late war or...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Alex

isn't it weird that all the other 2 canteens which look exactly like mine had the very same cup? Maybe a post war reissue?

Comment

your cup has typical postwar color of paint.

Comment

That was part of my initial question when i opened the thread.
        Now my doubt is : why putting a postwar cup on a almost mint canteen? Could it be all the canteen not ok?

Comment

Hello,
          everything is OK but the cup

Comment

Thanks. Would a bakelite cup fit? I do have spare cups , metal cap painted green, alloy with black paint and also bakelite. I can replace it if it's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by JPhilip View Post
              Would be much nicer with a bakelite cup...

it was my advice in the first reply to this thread...don't hesitate and please send some pics of result...

Comment

Here we are

Comment

thanks for the pics...
                  LOOKS GREAT !!!
                  (I hope this not a fake bakelite cup )
                  ciao!

Comment

The bakelite cup is ok, I found it myself here I always keep spare parts for emergencies like this.

However, here are some shots of the green cup, compared with a standard alloy cup black painted. It looks identical, only the cup's rim is different.

I should add that the seller seems a nice person and had no problem in refunding me. He insists anyway that the canteen was found as it was, and wasn't altered. He mentioned also an article on german canteens from the french mag Militaria.

Comment

Hello,
                      Postwar cup is slightly higher than the other one. aluminium is richer.
                      I would be interested to know what the seller said concerning the article about german canteens published in the french magazine

Comment

Hi JPhilip,

yep, me too. I asked him to scan it and send

Comment

Originally posted by 19BARBAROSSA41 View Post
                          this type of canteen which very often called "coconut" were NEVER in use in North Afrika !! I haven't seen any of this canteens on period made photos from North Africa. This type of canteen were used in Italy, Greece , in Russia or in Western Europe but NEVER in North Africa. there many photos showing that in North Africa were used normal canteens , the same models as in Europe ( specialy on begining of African campagne ) and letter canteens with webed straps. I don't know who started calling coconut canteens as DAK canteen but he was definately wrong cause there is no proof that they were used in North Africa.
                          This is totally incorrect. Just because YOU have no photo proof (yet) that these were carried in Africa does not prove they were NOT used there.

Good photos of water bottles being used in Africa are scarce and it is indeed difficult to provide photography proof of these were used there. However, the wood covered bottles were carried in Africa. More on this subject later.
                          John
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X