Trop Breadbag Bayo Frog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trop Breadbag Bayo Frog

Just picked this up and was wondering if anyone else had one in their collections, and if they did would they show them.

Cheers
    Gary
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Gary Cain
    Just picked this up and was wondering if anyone else had one in their collections, and if they did would they show them.

Cheers
    Gary
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

These are supposedly late war bayonet frogs, not tropical. Your's is most unusual with a large pocket for the bayonet.

I have always liked the late war bayonet frogs and am always looking for any variants I don't have.

I attach a photo of mine.

Bob Hritz
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bob Hritz; 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM.
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Verso
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bob,
              Nice frog there! I called it a trop because the material it is made of is from a tropical bread bag I did not mean to imply that it was a tropical item. My mistake.

Cheers
              Gary

Originally posted by Bob Hritz
              These are supposedly late war bayonet frogs, not tropical. Your's is most unusual with earlier rivits and a large pocket for the bayonet.

I have always liked the late war bayonet frogs and am always looking for any variants I don't have.

I attach a photo of mine.

Bob Hritz

Comment

Well, Gary, I don't have your variant. When you can't stand to look at it any longer, you know who to contact!

Bob Hritz

Comment

OK but it will take awhile! My eyes are still pretty good(the rest of my body is falling apart but the eyes are good dammit!) so it will be some time!

Cheers
                  Gary

Originally posted by Bob Hritz
                  Well, Gary, I don't have your variant. When you can't stand to look at it any longer, you know who to contact!

Bob Hritz

Comment

Some very nice frogs Most probably originating in southern Germany very near the end of the war the bread bag frogs may have been made in the KZ’s. While that conclusion is most admittedly conjecture, they were apparently of local manufacture. Like the Brotbeutel themselves the colors range from usually a green to more of a sandy yellow. Bob’s gray example IMO is most probably East German and is seen with both tan and black leather pouches/straps. (On the gray web frogs the tie strap is reversed from wartime practice and the materials match early East German field gear.)

Similar to Bob's gray frog there are some wartime tropical web versions of the “shorty” leather frogs (which were originally made for use with the folding shovels). Much less common than the conventional tropical frogs they have leather pouches/straps, and while some color variations (etc.) are seen, they are not as color diverse as the conventional tropical frogs. FP

Comment

Hey Gary,
                      I have exactly like that in my collection, they are rare and dont show up too often Shea has one for sale with a mismatched bayonet for a stupi prices (IMO) if you are interested in looking at another I dont have a camera available now to take a quick shot for you.

PAO

Comment

I took a look at Bill Shea’s web site and he has a very nice example of a bread bag frog. Both his and Gary’s are in much better condition than many I have seen. Something that might not be widely known is that while they are rare in the U.S. they are almost unknown in Europe. With the exception of France where they turn up occasionally but much less frequently.

Also not surprising is that the bayonet scabbard with Bill Shea’s example is stated to be unnumbered. Which is consistent with the fact that when found with bayonets intact that bread bag frogs usually have ‘mid-war’ commercial 98K bayonets in them instead of military issue ones (the serial numbered “cof 44” blade was probably added). FP

Comment

Hey FP,
                          Interesting to here about these frogs in Europe.

The bayonet has been added to the frog, and in the original description is was not mentioned to be mismatched. This was added later. Only way I would turst a mismatched bayonet-frog set is it came out of the woodwork like that or from the vet himself not from a dealer especially at that ridiculous price.

PAO

Comment

I posted mine a month ago.Never sen anything like this before.
                            Then also was opinion that tropical frog, but.....
                            The material seems to the same that were used made the mp44 mag pouches(late war). But what about the red stripe, woven inside the material Can enyone axplain me the meaning of the stripe. A "quality stripe"

This frog was found in Estonia and battles ended in Estonia in November 1944

K.

Comment

I posted mine a month ago.Never have seen anything like this before.
                              Then also was opinion that tropical frog, but.....
                              So once again
                              The material seems to the same that were used made the mp44 mag pouches(late war). But what about the red stripe, woven inside the material Can enyone axplain me the meaning of the stripe. A "quality stripe"

http://www.album.ee/?o=316896770

This frog was found in Estonia and battles ended in Estonia in November 1944

K.
                              Last edited by kass; 12-01-2005, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X