Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this flag

Attached Files

Guys, this is SS related. I’m having problems uploading the writing.

Comment

Regular party flag

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I didn't even know I owned this till I found it in the back of a gun safe I was moving. I have no reason to doubt the writing and believe its true an 100%. If anyone else feels the same, what do you think of it? Thanks....

Comment

The writing goes as follows...

"To whom may get this in the year to come. Here is a little info. It was taken out (underlined twice) of a SS panzer In Bastogne by SSgt William "Wild Bill" Madock. In the fall of "44" of Kco 10 Tiger."

The other side says "I Lt PJ McCabe 313th Inf Reg 79th TL Div won it in a poker game"

Comment

As I'm sure you al know, the 10th Armored was also referred to the "Tiger" division, so the last sentence makes good sense. I just need to find something on K company

Comment

And, I think I found out a bit about Lt PJ McCabe.

My uncle, Peter Joseph McCabe died from wounds suffered in N. France. He was a 1st. Lt. 313 Inf., 79th. Division. He died in 1947. He received the Bronze Star and Purple Heart. I am trying to gather records of Uncle Peter for my children and grandchildren. Any suggestions where to look for records of his service would be appreciated.

Comment

I think that it is possible that it's 100% legit. The problem is that its difficult to say when the writing was done. It would be easy to buy a junk flag and add the markings with an age appropriate pen.

It doesn't help that there is a series of US flags with stenciled markings saying that they're from Pearl Harbor, St Mere Eglise and D-Day being sold with NO provenance and making several thousand dollars each. I don't believe in one of them. So people are adding markings to all kinds of flags to hump up an item.

In the end, you know the history of the flag and marking and that's all that is important. When you go to sell there may be skeptics. I think you have a cool flag.

Comment

I don’t want to pop your bubble but this is just a regular nsdap flag with post war writing , IMO

Comment

Originally posted by chahler View Post
                          I don’t want to pop your bubble but this is just a regular nsdap flag with post war writing , IMO
                          Thanks for the input. I'm skeptical of most items like this, and if I hadn't of found out who PJ McCabe was I'd be a lot less sure of it. Certainly no way to ever prove it, but nothing about it makes me doubt it. Thanks again.

Joel

Comment

Looks ok most probably legit. No way to say it’s not. Those that do are only guessing or jealous.....

Comment

Originally posted by Der Texaner View Post
                              The writing goes as follows...

"To whom may get this in the year to come. Here is a little info. It was taken out (underlined twice) of a SS panzer In Bastogne by SSgt William "Wild Bill" Madock. In the fall of "44" of Kco 10 Tiger." Moniker sounds a lot like this guy..could be a coincidence or not. http://www.skagitriverjournal.com/S-.../MurdockW.html

The other side says "I Lt PJ McCabe 313th Inf Reg 79th TL Div won it in a poker game"
                              http://www.skagitriverjournal.com/S-.../MurdockW.html

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X