Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Known Charlemagne items in public collections/archives/museums

Hello all.

I am looking for known original LVF and 33rd SS items that are accessible for examination in museums, archives, public collections, etc. I'm not out to buy (but then again...) I'd also appreciate direction towards any known examples in collector's references or on an outside chance, perhaps if somebody would be willing to share details pics of known originals in their personal collection, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Hello.

Why?

Cheers
    Chris.

Comment

Hi,

if you need help to authentify some items you may have, you may contact me, i will be able to help you.

Many items exist in private or public collections, but many many fake and bogus artefacts are also flooding the market...

The Musée 39-45 of Ambleteuse (North of France) is presenting 2 said original LVF tunics, one (dubious and most probably fake) LVF helmet, and one original Croix de Guerre Légionnaire (with the first temporary ribbon).

Many original artefacts are presented in various French articles or magazines.

See You

Vince

Comment

Merci de votre aide!!!

Originally posted by FrenchVolunteer View Post
        Hi,

if you need help to authentify some items you may have, you may contact me, i will be able to help you.

Many items exist in private or public collections, but many many fake and bogus artefacts are also flooding the market...

The Musée 39-45 of Ambleteuse (North of France) is presenting 2 said original LVF tunics, one (dubious and most probably fake) LVF helmet, and one original Croix de Guerre Légionnaire (with the first temporary ribbon).

Many original artefacts are presented in various French articles or magazines.

See You

Vince

Comment

Hi,

Vince
          just ut of curiosity ar they Frankesteins (original item put together for historycal recosntruction ) or just plane fakes items.....

Comment

never mind...just saw a photo...helmet is just awful and the tunics are probably doctored up plain heer tunics....as with most foreign volunteer stuff...

still the museum looks super cool!
            Last edited by Spanish Freiwillige; 09-03-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Hi,

i heard that the two tunics are known for decades, with a plausible story (both from an officer), and some advanced collectors seemed to believe in them.
              By the way i should try to identify the guy... It should be possible.

I will still stay a bit cautious... even more with the fact that a probable fake helmet is presented in the museum.

See You

Vince

Comment

There's a tunic with history that was shown in an old Militaria Magazine I have ; if my memory serves I wonder if it was not the tunic of Henri Fenet.

Comment

If you come across the issue number, would you please share it? Thanks!

Originally posted by Renaud View Post
                  There's a tunic with history that was shown in an old Militaria Magazine I have ; if my memory serves I wonder if it was not the tunic of Henri Fenet.

Comment

Hi,

this is the tunic of Robert Soulat, but again there is some discrepancy from Soulat himself as he was originally in the OT then the Kriegsmarine, and the presented tunic is an SS model that Soulat said he never received while transfering to the "Charlemagne" in fall 1944.

The tunic is shown in :
                    - "39-45 Magazine" N°13 (September-October 1986) > pic 1 below
                    - "Militaria" N°119 (June 1995) > pic 2 below
                    - "Uniformes" N°300 (May-June 2015) > pic 3 below

I strongly suggest to any collector interested into buying LVF/"Charlemagne"/other units artefacts to stay very cautious and to get opinions from known experts and collectors.
                    The probability to get original ones is near zero today.

See You

Vince
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much for the information. I sincerely doubt I'd ever come across one for purchase. I'm trying to run down these examples for broader research purposes. I sincerely appreciate the help!!!

Hi,

this is the tunic of Robert Soulat, but again there is some discrepancy from Soulat himself as he was originally in the OT then the Kriegsmarine, and the presented tunic is an SS model that Soulat said he never received while transfering to the "Charlemagne" in fall 1944.

The tunic is shown in :
                      - "39-45 Magazine" N°13 (September-October 1986) > pic 1 below
                      - "Uniformes" N°300 (May-June 2015) > pic 3 below

I strongly suggest to any collector interested into buying LVF/"Charlemagne"/other units artefacts to stay very cautious and to get opinions from known experts and collectors.
                      The probability to get original ones is near zero today.

See You

Vince

Comment

Yeah that's it ; I don't have it now, otherwise I would scan it. Sorry.

Comment

Hi,

"Militaria" N°119 is sold out, i bought the last 10 examples for various contacts a few years ago directly from the publisher.
                          But all issues are available on second hand market.

If you need some help to find essential publications showing LVF/SS & co artefacts, please contact me through PM.
                          I will advise you some titles.

See You

Vince

Comment

Hi,

i heard that the two tunics are known for decades, with a plausible story (both from an officer), and some advanced collectors seemed to believe in them.
                            By the way i should try to identify the guy... It should be possible.

I will still stay a bit cautious... even more with the fact that a probable fake helmet is presented in the museum.

See You

Vince
                            Well if they have been seriously research anf facts point out that they are real....that is mega cool

i have been hunting for an original Blue Div tunic...but so far have not encountered any that can be proven original with serious facts only collectors gossip and heresay...with the "came directly form the vet´s family" and no serous facts to back up provinance and we all know how eassy it is to sowe a patch on an original tunic....

Comment

Hi,

"Militaria" N°119 is sold out, i bought the last 10 examples for various contacts a few years ago directly from the publisher.
                              But all issues are available on second hand market.

If you need some help to find essential publications showing LVF/SS & co artefacts, please contact me through PM.
                              I will advise you some titles.

See You

Vince
                              Hi

If vwmilbuy is interested a French seller has this very issue (in French) for sale on Ebay at 7.95 Euros + shipping.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X