Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printed trapezoid

Dear Gents,
    I would like to ask your opinion about this printed trap before it goes for sale. I got it from e-stand 3 or 4 years ago, I bought it as original and I believe it is one (it matches the type I saw in another topic with untouched m43 caps), but want to double check.
    Thank you for your opinion!
    Attached Files

Thanks for posting this, I don't think I've seen the back before and it's encouraging to see the white border around the green background. The amount of ink that penetrated the linen on the reverse also looks typical for period printed insignia.

Bottomline is that these insignia are more widely accepted as original than 15 years ago; a number of the caps with these insignia were recovered from veteran stashes. There are still those that doubt their authenticity, however, which can affect the price.

s/f Robert

Comment

Hi,

this "dead pigeon" is just amazingly horrible...

See You

Vince

Comment

Yes, they are not very aesthetically pleasing and lack lots of detail. The poster is asking for confirmation it's original, not if it is attractive or ugly.

It most certainly is ugly, but these are largely accepted as original.

s/f Robert

Comment

You will not get a definitive answer. There are those who believe and those who do not believe. Many on both sides are very passionate about the subject of printed insignia. The exception is printed sleeve eagles which are now almost universally excepted. I think less than half accept these trapezoids as real.

For what it's worth, I am one of the believers.

Alen

Comment

Thanks Alen, I stand corrected on the possible percentage of believers - I really don't know. I do know that we had lots of very loud proclamations on the sleeve eagles that turned to whispers after the photo was posted. Come to think of it, the photos authenticity was also questioned, but after acceptance, the eagles were in the clear.

I also am a believer, though I do agree they look terrible.

s/f Robert

Comment

Hi,

my "opinion" ?
              Sell it as soon as you can, just because it is ugly...

There is enough innuendo that those "printed" ugly items were made in the 70's in the US, it is an "US local market fake" like the Champagne Rune or the Pinky.

"Many were found in veteran estates, they are listed in many reference books, many ultra famous/rich/known collectors believe in them, rawrawraw", the same all tricks crooks are usully for centuries...

See You

Vince

Comment

Cynical response of little value. Serious collectors have discussed these in a serious manner, and this dismissive response is not helpful for the poster. Crooked crooks, indeed.

I recommend reading the numerous posts regarding printed insignia, and avoiding associating this discussion erroneously associated with completely different fields, such as steel helmets.

s/f Robert

Comment

Like I said, VERY passionate.

Alen

Comment

Thank you for the opinions! I am a believer of them but I see it is quite a divisive topic. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by immer View Post
                      Thank you for the opinions! I am a believer of them but I see it is quite a divisive topic. Thank you!
                      The removed example that you have shown here is very interesting.

I have never seen the reverse side of one of these screen printed SS traps until now. I like the way it is printed and the white fold-overs a lot more than I do not

It reminds me of some of the accepted examples of the original Volkssturm arm-bands that are out there in collections today. Many of the printed eagles on the Volkssturm bands also lack similar detail like the eagle on your SS trap.

This lack of detail to the eagles which some say is ugly, is funky but it could in fact be a good indicator of how the Germans were making such screen printed insignia in 1944/ 45

Chris

Comment

Gentlemen
                        When one looks at British printed insignia of the same time period you will find the British far more advanced than this so called German effort!
                        I think it should have a poll so % of believers is identified

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X