i do like these but would like to ask some opinions as well
    cheers
    Attached Files

The runic tab is a prime example of a nice original
    But IMO dont buy them as the runes displays verdigris
    This will only get worse and the runes will eventually destroy the tab
    Regards David

Comment

I agree. Nice set of wartime tabs. They were rarely exact mates.

The white powdery stuff is the corrosion products formed when aluminum reacts with water in the air or with salt from perspiration in your fingers. If kept in a high humidity environment, handled often, especially with sweaty fingers or if you live in an area with extreme air pollution, David is absolutely correct.

But based on my experience, if kept in a cool dry environment and handled infrequently with clean fingers, you will have minimal or no degradation. I keep the humidity low in my house. I wash my hands before handling any bullion insignia, but do not use the clean white cotton gloves some do. My collection contains numerous bullion insignia obtained in the 1980’s and 90’s that had at least a spot or two of corrosion when purchased. I have seen no detectable degradation in those 30 – 35 years.

It’s just a chemical reaction. If all of the reactants are not present, the reaction cannot occur. Also remember that improper handling / storage of pristine items can result in corrosion! If the reactants are present and the conditions right the reaction will occur.

One word of caution: any flexing or all but the most gentle handling will cause any existing white powdery stuff to flake off leaving the white center cords exposed. This looks to have happened to the runes posted at the start of this thread.

Just my 2₵ worth.

Alen Davidson

Comment

+1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X