SS Belt and Buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Belt and Buckle

this piece is completely separate from the banner i posted earlier. From my research it appears to be legitimate, i just wish i knew more about the person who owned it. The name on the belt spells out W. Pilkenrodt. I have no other information.
    total legth is 35'' with a width of 1 1/8''

Comment

Repro buckle on an original belt. The belt has no obvious connection to the SS, however. There is a possibility that the belt may have been restitched, but I'm not certain.

Alen

Comment

As said-buckle is a definite fake

Comment

Yes, very much a fake and anytime you see an old phone number belonging to the postwar manufacturer, or an "SS" inside of a diamond, then you should always know for sure that it is a fake, from this point on.

Chris

Comment

heres a few more pictures of the buckle for the record and future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector View Post
              Yes, very much a fake and anytime you see an old phone number belonging to the postwar manufacturer, or an "SS" inside of a diamond, then you should always know for sure that it is a fake, from this point on.

Chris
              ive read there should also be a line through the Z (RZM), is this correct?

Comment

That is a completely bogus statement that became a wide spread mistake many years ago. In fact, there are just as many original SS items that do not have a slash in it's RZM mark as there are ones that do have it. This includes SS belt buckles, all sorts of metal SS insignias, and many other things that are all well known originals.

Chris

Comment

SS by OLT repro

Originally posted by Brad1975 View Post
                  heres a few more pictures of the buckle for the record and future reference.

Ric
                  Attached Files

Comment

First of all, ANY item having the SS runes in a diamond is deemed to be an old fake. That symbol normally (always?) appears with “OLT” and “62637”. That is said to be the initials of the faker (Terry L. Oliver?) transposed and his phone number (62637).

Second, there are many minor variations of the RZM logo, some of which include:

1. Z may or may not have a slash

2. The legs of the M may be vertical or splayed

3. Single circle around the RZM

4. Double circle around the RZM

5. The inner circle is usually cut at six o’clock between the legs of the M, but not always

I am sure combinations of the above exist and I’m sure there are other variations.

Alen

Comment

Alen, that is some very good and accurate information you have posted. I will only add one fact, which is that the incorrect "SS" within a diamond marking is found on several other fake SS items, not just these fake OLT buckles. Another well known fake item with this marking is a common and crude set of aluminum SS cap insignia, (skull and eagle), which are also marked "GES.GESCH.", if my memory is correct. I don't think that all of such fakes are connected with Terry Oliver, but I'm not sure about this.

Thanks again!

Chris

Comment

One of my first SS relics was a really cool looking SS ring with the silver runes in a black enamel panel. The motto was in 2 parts, one half on each side of the runic panel. It too had the runes in a diamond logo inside. Needless to say it was a learning experience. Good old AAG International auction.

There is an aluminum SS officer's buckle marked this way, also.

Incidentally, I don't think the runes in a diamond logo appears on any cloth insignia, just metal.

Al

Comment

Interesting, thank you!

As for the fake aluminum officer's buckle, I have one of those that I bought really cheap for studying years ago.

Happy collecting!

Chris
                          Last edited by SScollector; 04-03-2019, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X