These are original right?
    Attached Files

Looks good to me

Comment

+1

Comment

Look great. Congratulations

Comment

I ended up selling these and the buyer is saying they are fake. He has an issue with the piping. Yet he would like to keep them for $40.

I thought these were fine as did others. Is there a chance he's correct and the piping is bad? He won't post photos. So I only have the original ones to go off of.
          If they are bad I will send them back myself if the seller will take them.

Comment

Originally posted by twoodson412 View Post
            I ended up selling these and the buyer is saying they are fake. He has an issue with the piping. Yet he would like to keep them for $40.

I thought these were fine as did others. Is there a chance he's correct and the piping is bad? He won't post photos. So I only have the original ones to go off of.
            If they are bad I will send them back myself if the seller will take them.
            Ask him to tell you more about why the piping is so troubling. And better yet, SHOW you what is not so pleasant about them . . . so if you take them back, you will have at least learned something. Better pictures might help to reveal more - but these appear to be in rayon. I dabbled some in boards a long time ago . . . and if you search around, you find there is a specific "weave" of rayon that some people don't like. For a starter, here is an old topic I once posed . . . which shows rayon and wool, side-by-side for comparison:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=293881

Comment

The buyer was kind enough to forward some photos of what his issue is. Here are the photos of the piping.
              Attached Files

Comment

Be certain to seek more opinions, but . . .

Maybe someone else will speak up here . . . but now that you have produced the additional photos, it does appear these boards display the "longer" weave of rayon that someone once told me to do my best to avoid. If you compare it to the board from my old post, you may recognize the difference in weave pattern. Now that's not saying my comment is absolute - but only something I can recall being told to look out for long ago. Many years ago, I came to the conclusion there is just way too much to know about all of this stuff - and anyone can be wrong . . . but when I recognize something I have been told by those I know and trust, I am always happy to pass on my experiences - be its something others agree with or not.

Comment

This is the closest example (white piped) I have, compared with a lemon yellow rayon example.

The white piping looks to be made from cotton or a blend with a high cotton/ recycled cotton content. Have seen the same thing on very early tropical breast eagles. The eagles on 1940 dated tunics have a cotton content that producing a thicker gauge of thread, giving more of a 3D effect when compared with a later rayon/ artificial-silk example on a 1943 dated tunic

Of course the Germans ran out of cotton at the start of WW2 so piping made from this material is rarer than wool, rayon or artificial silk.

Only example of an SS officer board with this type of thicker cotton content piping that I have ever been able to pick up so far,

Chris
                  Attached Files

Comment

The person who had issues with the piping said the quote "tops" were original. If that's the case were these put together with fake piping or just a late war piping different than most others?

I just find it odd that part would be fake and part would not.

Comment

Originally posted by twoodson412 View Post
                      The person who had issues with the piping said the quote "tops" were original. If that's the case were these put together with fake piping or just a late war piping different than most others?

I just find it odd that part would be fake and part would not.
                      In my experience, piping with a cotton content is not late war. If anything it would be early in the war up to 1940,

Chris

Comment

So it's possible these are ok? I hope so because the original seller refuses to take them back after the 7 day period. I got them roughly 10 days ago after shipping took 6 weeks.

If they are ok I will just relist at half price with a link to this thread for transparency. The person who didn't like the piping thought the rest were real.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X