MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Should A Restored SS M-43 Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Should A Restored SS M-43 Cost?

Hi All -
    I bought membership but still can't post pics.
    Bought a gabardine SS M-43 with machine-sewn trap, and typical "M 43 & 57" ink stamp on brown cotton/rayon liner.
    PROBLEM:
    The lining is hand-stitched to underside of bill....suggesting trap may have been replaced (De-Nazified?)
    I'm positive it's a real SS Cap......
    Cost $2,900......
    Assuming it's re- badged....what is the approx.value?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by MABS-11; 03-06-2019, 09:55 PM.

You can find unmessed trapezoid insignia fieldgrey M43's for around 3k, even on dealer sites.

Jack

Comment

Cap

Thats what I paid.....
      What should it cost if re-badged?

Comment

I saw insignia less caps like these on Estand being offered for around 1500 if I remember correctly, so restored probably would be somewhere between that and 3k. How much exactly, I don't know. It is up to a buyer how comfortable he is with restored piece versus untouched one, but nowhere near 3k in my opinion. Also for some people it is a big difference if only the insignia was reapplied by hand versus liner being opened to enable machine stitching.

Jack

Comment

Cap

Hey, thanks a lot for taking time to help.
          Normally I'd bail.....but those gabardine SS M-43s with the brown cotton/rayon linings and M43 +size depot stamps are pretty much identical.....so at least it's actually an SS cap and not a Heer......
          Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by MABS-11 View Post
            Thats what I paid.....
            What should it cost if re-badged?
            I would say you probably over paid around 2k
            Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
            teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Hi All -
              I bought membership but still can't post pics.
              Bought a gabardine SS M-43 with machine-sewn trap, and typical "M 43 & 57" ink stamp on brown cotton/rayon liner.
              PROBLEM:
              The lining is hand-stitched to underside of bill....suggesting trap may have been replaced (De-Nazified?)
              I'm positive it's a real SS Cap......
              Cost $2,900......
              Assuming it's re- badged....what is the approx.value?
              Thanks!
              I guess You write about this one : https://www.germanmilitaria.com/Waff...s/S001581.html

If yes, than you could buy if for far less here on WAF. I was selling it for 1500 euro and nobody was interest, so I exchanged it with one of the dealers and he sent it to Peter from Collectors guide and put it for sale there.

Comment

Cap

Thanks to all of you for your valuable assistance!
                I decided to return the cap for refund.
                The first thing I looked at when receiving it was the integrity of the lining. My heart just sunk when I saw the hand-stitching on the liner.....
                No problem since they stand by their items.
                Must have fallen thru the cracks.......
                Best Wishes to all!

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your valuable assistance!
                  I decided to return the cap for refund.
                  The first thing I looked at when receiving it was the integrity of the lining. My heart just sunk when I saw the hand-stitching on the liner.....
                  No problem since they stand by their items.
                  Must have fallen thru the cracks.......
                  Best Wishes to all!

Actualy hand stiching was done before the insignia was re-applied (trap was sewn by skilled friend of mine ). The cap itself was period altered to look like bergmutze by shortening the bill and re-application of it ( you can still see traces of the metal insignia pinned on side - shadow and hole from pin should be well visible - probably matel edelweiss).
                  In other words ; hand stiching, prior the insignia re-application, was already there from wartime period ( simply was done at front , by some soldier ).
                  Other thing is the fact that lining in front, where sewing of visor was done, is quite soil so thread could simply rotten and visor was hand stiched.
                  I will try to find the photos of the hat when I get it ( whithut insignai ) to show you the hand stiching.

Comment

Cap

Very interesting......
                    So what about the original trap? Was it missing from the beginning?
                    Or was it removed......and why?
                    Thanks!

Comment

Very interesting......
                      So what about the original trap? Was it missing from the beginning?
                      Or was it removed......and why?
                      Thanks!
                      Was missing from very begining. I bought cap without insignia originaly from Germany.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X