SS Camo Skull for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Camo Skull for review

Hello I would like some reviews on this SS Camo Skull.

Thank you Raymond
    Attached Files

Hi Raymond, the design is correct ... the colour is strange though. It's not dark enough or the correct (and distinct) design to be for the camo cap but it looks too dark for a standard tropical skull.

Can you post photos taken in daylight please ?

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

It’s a good one for sure, what’s your concern?

Comment

Camo Skull

Hi Raymond,

The skull you posted is the typical pattern for the tropical gold/yellow skull, which can also be found in white/grey. Unusual colored versions of these skulls show up from time to time, but most collectors feel they are dyed tropical skulls and stay away from them.

The skull you posted is not pattern of skull that is found on the four known camo reversible caps, with camo insignia. Here are pictures of the skulls that are found on the camo reversible caps. These are the camo skulls that collectors accept as original. Also included are photos of my friend, the late Willi Schumacher, camo cap.

I used to own two sets of camo skulls. One set was mint and matched the the accepted pattern. I compared them in person to both the Schumacher and Delich caps. I also had a used, cap removed set that was in the pattern you posted. At the time, most collectors dismissed that set as original tropical skulls that had been dyed. Since then, other TKs like the one you show have surfaced. Mark Bando turned an odd green version up from a 101st Airborne vet, which is featured in his book and Angolia's updated version of Cloth Insignia of the SS, has a black and white photo of a green version of this skull in the appendix. I know of two others that have surfaced like the one you show. However, many people do not accept this pattern in camo colors as original. I'm on the fence and still looking for proof. As Ian stated, pictures out in the sunlight would be helpful.

I have never been able to find a period picture of this pattern of the camo skull being worn. But if original, I suspect there were very few of them.
        There are only a hand full of period pictures showing the accepted camo skulls (block sewn on) reversible caps.

I have always been interested in colored skulls.

Thanks for posting this one. Is it in your collection?

Paul
        Attached Files
        Last edited by TK GUY; 01-17-2019, 12:35 PM.

Comment

TKs

Period pictures of the accepted version being worn.

Paul
          Attached Files

Comment

Tk

Here is the pattern of TK you posted in brown that was on EMedals in 2018.

I have handled a couple of other original tropical skulls that have been dyed green or brown. I found that the black welt is usually discolored and the welt and skull have a stiff feel to them.

Paul

Comment

Tk

pics
              Attached Files

Comment

Paul yes it is in my collection. The color is correct in the scan. It is some what darker than a normal tropical skull and also I can see now the pattern is wrong for a camo skull,
                I looked in the Beaver/Bando book on SS insignia and on page 135 it appears to be some type of variant of a tropical skull. I will contact seller and ask for a refund since I purchased it at the end of 2018.
                Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Regards Raymond

Comment

It's a bit darker than usual but tropical insignia does vary quite a bit in my experience. It's definitely not camo brown though IMO.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X