An SS officer Summer weight tunic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zauberflöte View Post
    I'm happy to hear that and in that case sorry for taken the assumption that it was directed to me.
    Yes, I noticed the difference in tabs, a common practice of course, the Bevo in itself is a screamer.
    And yes, one has to know who is "talking"; sometimes that is hard and a frustrating experience...
    No problem, you've been on here a long time I respect your opinions and observations .

Comment

Originally posted by Zauberflöte View Post
      True and bear in mind that even issue SS items had sometimes the insignia sewn on by the men themselves, only having the SS eagle as standard. So often it was depending on how skilled a person was in sewing or the company tailor that fulfilled the job.

There is a photo of Nordland soldiers sitting in a row sewing there collar tabs on, and I have spoken with a Dutch SS veteran with the amazing story that he mixed up the eagle and skull on his field cap; so he received it sans insignia!
      And the modern collector will dismiss them as un-collectable. A foolish mistake in my opinion.

Comment

Awesome tunic John! love the blue shade of that fabric.

Comment

Hand sewn insignia? it was never done!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
            Awesome tunic John! love the blue shade of that fabric.
            Commonly referred to as "moleskin" and used by Police, Heer and the SS.

Comment

Also insignia was removed for cleaning the tunic, or often came off when the tunic was cleaned, combat tunics were often steamed to kill lice

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay198666 View Post
                Also insignia was removed for cleaning the tunic, or often came off when the tunic was cleaned, combat tunics were often steamed to kill lice
                And this is cleary written in some books of war (for example the forgotten soldier) or told by employer of hotel lanundries in Italy.
                Attached Files

Comment

That is a really good read.

Comment

Originally posted by viva_giulio View Post
                    And this is cleary written in some books of war (for example the forgotten soldier) or told by employer of hotel lanundries in Italy.
                    My favorite war book of all time.
                    Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff V View Post
                      My favorite war book of all time.
                      Mine too!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X