CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS visors with divergent insignia at Versailles 1940.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS visors with divergent insignia at Versailles 1940.

Something well known (I assume), and by now also rather frequently encountered, is the presence of a Wehrmacht eagle on early SS (VT) visors. Over time I've seen a lot of pictures of individual SS men with this apparently divergent feature. While looking at this picture for an other thread I suddenly reminded this to be a nice group example to share of some divergent insignia in use. For the metal insignia I suppose this was a way to personalize the visor, as the new style metal insignia in 1940 had been in wear already for some 5 years? The cloth Wehrmacht eagle on some of the visors would be less of a surprise as the SS visor alu thread cloth eagles only came around the time this period picture was taken (if I am correct). Besides the Wehrmacht (and one metal political party) eagles (blue circles) you'll also see a few old style traditional skulls (red circles) in this group picture at Versailles in 1940.
    Hope you'll enjoy it!
    Signing off, Christmas family meetings …

Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2019!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Not uncommon during the whole war.

Comment

Thank you for sharing
        M

Comment

Great photo, thanks for posting it! All the crushers in the photo are very interesting, if the one with the early pattern TK and WH eagle was posted here it would be torn apart as a fake.

Comment

Originally posted by dhunter93 View Post
            Great photo, thanks for posting it! All the crushers in the photo are very interesting, if the one with the early pattern TK and WH eagle was posted here it would be torn apart as a fake.
            I Agree

Comment

Originally posted by dhunter93 View Post
              Which happens with way to much regularity here.

Comment

Totally agree

Comment

Thank you gentlemen, pictures tell it all. And your prediction might well prove to be right. You'll also find a wide view version of this close up in the cloth headgear section under the “steep angle visor fetish” thread started by BenvK. (for those interested).
                  Back of the picture has the handwritten name Naumann and number 3 of 17.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I suppose there should be dozens of pictures of this event, also from different angles. I for one am specially very interested in a different angle- or even more close up picture of the person and persons partly visible visor in the picture (red dot) behind Mohnke. Both visors (red and green dot) seem very dull, cloth covered. I've searched but couldn't find it on the web.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Found an other very nice early picture for eye pleasure and detail, where in this case the SS eagle is a minority, late 1940 or early 1941 (picture isn't mine).
                      Attached Files

Comment

agree. common to see in photos. That's Sepp Dietrich.

Comment

If you collect SS...………….you better know what you are doing......

Comment

You're right Bill, but how ever long one has been collecting ... we still learn every day and always trying to keep an open mind . For common knowledge, the names of the first row in the first picture and some well known in the rows further back. From left to right: Otto Baum, Wilhelm Mohnke, Georg Schönberger, Sepp Dietrich and August Wilhelm Trabandt. In the photo behind Sepp Dietrich clearly visible the two (cordless) “crushers”, Kurt Meyer (l.) and Richard Schulze(-Kossens).

On the picture in the field (post 11) you'll see the same (Hauptsturmführer) Richard Schulze-Kossens (l. with side cap) and Fritz Witt as Strumbannführer with Knight's cross ( date post early september 1940 ).

Still the question remains … who is the person with the red dot in post 10?

Comment

You also have to ask yourself . . . would you buy one ?
                              If it was presented to you like this ?
                              Regards David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X