CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion please on relic SS camp helmet on e-Stand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion please on relic SS camp helmet on e-Stand.

I’ve been looking for a decent relic condition SS helmet. I have no real knowledge on helmets. It’s more than I’d really like to pay and would like to hear y’all’s thoughts. If it could be documented as being found in Normandy then I wouldn’t mind paying a bit more but from what I read it’s a story that can’t be verified, hence worthless as in not adding value in my opinion. Thanks in advance

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=986257

-Joel

Originally posted by Wikinger Gott View Post
    I’ve been looking for a decent relic condition SS helmet. I have no real knowledge on helmets. It’s more than I’d really like to pay and would like to hear y’all’s thoughts. If it could be documented as being found in Normandy then I wouldn’t mind paying a bit more but from what I read it’s a story that can’t be verified, hence worthless as in not adding value in my opinion. Thanks in advance

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=986257

-Joel
    Seriously Joel buy yourself something nice for that kind of money.
    Merry Christmas

Comment

Thank you. I was thinking if it were a true camo helmet it might be worth -around- that, certainly not more. I don’t mind items in rough shape as long as they are 100% original and untouched. I’d rather have a rough, moth eaten, stained Wiking tunic with original insignia than a mint tunic with post war applied authentic insignia for the same money. I’ve been offered another SS relic helmet that comes with a relic dog tag and relic buckle. I know they are all good pieces. Supposedly all found together, but I wouldn’t claim that myself based on no proof for 499.00 Euro. The Normandy story is great on the helmet in question but shouldn’t add to the value without iron clad proof. Thanks again.

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by Wikinger Gott View Post
        Thank you. I was thinking if it were a true camo helmet it might be worth -around- that, certainly not more. I don’t mind items in rough shape as long as they are 100% original and untouched. I’d rather have a rough, moth eaten, stained Wiking tunic with original insignia than a mint tunic with post war applied authentic insignia for the same money. I’ve been offered another SS relic helmet that comes with a relic dog tag and relic buckle. I know they are all good pieces. Supposedly all found together, but I wouldn’t claim that myself based on no proof for 499.00 Euro. The Normandy story is great on the helmet in question but shouldn’t add to the value without iron clad proof. Thanks again.

Joel
        Hi Joel, for what it is worth, I agree with Paul. Paul and I collect helmets, so it is definitely an area we know about. Is the SS relic helmet cool? Yes, definitely. But is it worth $2,000? I honestly think that if in the future you try to get your money back, it will be very, very difficult. If you are going to spend $2,000 on a helmet, then I would recommend saving a lttle more and buying a quality, "been there" non-relic helmet. The demand for quality non-relic helmets will be much greater and you will have a better chance of getting back at least what you put in it.
        When you go home
        Tell them for us and say
        For your tomorrow
        We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
        Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Good advice, price is off the charts for a relic. J

Comment

Thank you all for the comments. I’m certainly glad I asked and learned some stuff. Regards,
            Joel

Comment

I agree with the above, condition is very important. Also relics might not be stable and still deteriorate even if taken care of. My view is if budged is limited, be patient and save for a better condition piece or buy something less expensive, but unmessed and in decent shape.
              You can find non relic SS helmets with period removed insignia for a very reasonable price. Insignia might not be there anymore, but it is still a helmet that SS soldier wore during the war and at the price that is far away from intact decaled examples.
              Some SS collectors buy those to put a camo cover on them.

My thoughts,
              Jack

Comment

Originally posted by cossack1648 View Post
                Some SS collectors buy those to put a camo cover on them.
                Why would you put a rusting helmet inside a VERY valuable SS helmet cover ?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                  Why would you put a rusting helmet inside a VERY valuable SS helmet cover ?!
                  I meant non relic helmet with paint and liner, only with removed insignia.

Jack

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X