Grey Fez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grossfuss View Post
    Sadly my pal of many years' standing took offence that I asked about this blasted fez without his knowing and I certainly shan't be passing on this latest info - but that's his problem.

So long as he's happy with the fez that is all that matters .... so long as he doesn't plan on selling it any time soon.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by John T View Post
      I think it could be possible that pips were used as headgear but not plausible.
      Never has a truer word been spoken.

Comment

Sadly my pal of many years' standing took offence that I asked about this blasted fez without his knowing and I certainly shan't be passing on this latest info - but that's his problem.
        I don't understand why would anyone be offended with a legitimate fez (though we haven't seen photos). Unless, of course, he wanted to believe in something that just does not logically make any sense. He should be happy with an original piece of historical headgear plus bonus materiel (pips attached).

Comment

Politeness costs nothing paul.j - that's the sort of reply that keeps my friend away from forums like ours.

Personally I have no knowledge of the history of the fez - it's a line to which I have no interest, but in the attempt to learn more about this particular oddity I asked the question.

Mr. Hollywood however has given the reply for which I had hoped, albeit of a negative nature. As for the fez I brought up, this was bought in the UK on eBay, as David Davies saw, and if there be any connection with the Bill Shea example there's no way of knowing.

Thanks again Mr. Hollywood - I appreciate your input which, as far as I'm concerned, wraps it up.

Regards,

Grossfuss
          You are welcome but please don’t mistake my commentary as being offensive nor aggressive. That I can assure you was not the spirt intended.

Comment

Just a thought: Visor caps, overseas caps and M43:s does to a degree show rank, as they can differentiate between enlisted/NCO:s, officers and generals. With the fez this was not possible. So, the need or wish to indicate rank on a fez is not entirely unlogical.

However, as there is no proof of rank pips being worn on the fezes by personell in the Handschar Division, it is probably wise to remain sceptical…..

Comment

Grey Fez

Hi Mr. Hollywood,

I have no criticism of your input at all - I did think paul.j's reply was a touch arrogant and added nothing constructive but maybe I was being too sensitive - in all fairness he was saying the same as you but less constructively.

I was hoping that there may have been a photo of this practice out there to prove the point but the nearest we've got is the Bill Shea fez which I do find hard to be just a coincidence, but short of evidence how will we know.

It does seem an odd thing to do but there you go!

Thanks for all your contributions - despite my pal's opinion, if you don't ask you won't learn!

I've never regretted my membership.

Regards,

Grossfuss

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X