panzer leather uniform ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

panzer leather uniform ?

A guy want to sell this lot found in France some years ago with other ww2 uniforms. I am a bit anxious about this uniform, a km leather lot for sure but he told me it was a km modified for panzertruppen, have you any ideas ?

Thank you

Without provenance as to whom it belonged to, impossible to tell if this was worn by an SS panzerman. There are period photos of SS panzer in Normandy and the battle for France wearing them, but these were KM issued. That assembly could have been post-war shortened. If you like the set, unless there is some proof (photo of that set in wear) I would only be paying what the cost is of a KM set not SS panzer. By the item not the story. GL and keep us posted.

Scott

Comment

Thank you for the reply, the lot was found by a friend i the house of an old man with around 20 complete US ww2 infantry uniforms nearly complete, and two heer m40 uniforms too. My friend asks me a really good price for this lot, so i'll take it !

Comment

The major part of leather jackets worn in Normandy are without colar.
        It's very hard to find a photo where a SS soldier wear a collared leather jacket.
        IMO I only know Karl Heinz Prinz wearing such jacket, a variant of the KM one and not a short jacket like the one depicted here.

Comment

Originally posted by Höhe 112 View Post
          The major part of leather jackets worn in Normandy are without colar.
          It's very hard to find a photo where a SS soldier wear a collared leather jacket.
          IMO I only know Karl Heinz Prinz wearing such jacket, a variant of the KM one and not a short jacket like the one depicted here.
          A couple photos in wear with collar.
          Attached Files

Comment

The image of Gerd Bremer on the right I think you will find that is a long leather coat rather than a leather jacket as used by SS Panzer crews.

The one on the left looks more like it...

Comment

I cannot comment on the authenticity of that jacket, but it's been well established that Panzer crewmen liked leather jackets and even trousers because they provided much better protection against burns than the wool wrappers. Burn injuries were a definite hazard when your tank got hit. It's been documented that both the 12. SS Hitlerjugend Panzer Division and the 1. SS Panzer Division LAH were issued some excess KM stocks.
              Attached Files

Comment

I think the Panzer crews used what they could get.
                The leather uniforms gave good protection against fire/explosions.
                I have never seen a uniform of that pattern used by the Waffen-SS though.

Comment

Ok guys, thank you for all your replies, i got enough info about this set now mates.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X