No announcement yet.

SS coat with insignia question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Don, not the "braid" itself or the "attaching" cord/string. Running from one end of the "braid" to the other (hidden between the interwoven braids) are two thin cords. They pull the aiguillette cord tight so the braid has the "fat" appearance. If they snap the braid relaxes and becomes about twice as long? I believe there are 2 cords per braid. Rayon or cotton cord with silvered/metallic finish.

I am sure they can be repaired and have a pretty good idea how. Procrastination! Just curious if anyone else has repaired a set before.

Both my braids have broken cords and relaxed braids.

Comment

OK - got it! I am wondering if you could tie off the thread somehow to tighten it, assuming they didn't snap at either end, which would be a bear, I suspect.

Don

Comment

Hi Don and David.
        Very interesting lecture regarding the aiguillette but can we please stay focussed on the mantel here?

David, maybe you could start a topic regarding the repair of your aguillette.
        Would be very informative for sure.
        Thanks.

Comment

Well, that's me told off...
          Attached Files

Comment

Coat

David, I for one would love to see that pic of Karl wearing the aiguillette on his overcoat if you can dig it up. Meantime, here's what appears to be a Major doing the same. Second from the right.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by David T View Post
              Love this coat. Very cool.
              These aiguillettes are officers dress/parade aiguillettes. Same style worn by Army and SS. The SS aiguillette was the " adjudants aiguillette ". The Adjudants Aiguillette I believe were worn with greatcoats. At least one photo comes to mind of Karl Wolff wearing an adjudants aiguillette with coat.

Is there any label in this coat?
              David
              That is exactly what a vet said he got it from. From the office of adjutant to the camp commander of Dachau. The person who has it now is getting a letter written about it, explaining the story.

Comment

Hi,
                Looks like the find of the year can't be to hard to narrow down the owner.
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
                  Hi,
                  Looks like the find of the year can't be to hard to narrow down the owner.
                  Mark
                  Does anybody know the name of the captain who was commanders assistant?
                  Thank you

Comment

Rajko, did you get any pics of the upper interior of the Mantel? I would think there might be a tag and perhaps owners name inside.

Comment

Howard, I am not able to post pics, but I will look up the pic and send you the book name and page. It's a fairly common image of Himmler and Wolff. It's an early pic and I believe they are wearing the light grey backed collar tabs.
                      In the image you posted...that looks like it is Wolff. That is the Ss Adjutant Aiguillette.

Comment

Hi,
                        Something like this I could swap a lot of my mundane collection for would you really ever need anything better if all is ok.
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by David T View Post
                          Rajko, did you get any pics of the upper interior of the Mantel? I would think there might be a tag and perhaps owners name inside.
                          I did not find any tags

Comment

Photo

Here is the picture of Himmler and Wolf previously mentioned. Ref: Angolia, Cloth Insignia of the SS, 2nd Edition, 1989, Page 63.

Charles Betz
                            Attached Files

Comment

Coat

Thanks Charles.

Comment

Well known picture but that is not the same aguillette as the one on the mantel that started this topic.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X