Clear All

M44 tunic - any chance?

Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello gents,
        I would like to ask you for your opinion on this tunic. I feel this one could have a chance, but I could be wrong...
        Thank you very much for any input
        Attached Files

Comment

I see no red flags. Original insignia, nicely applied, Italian silky HBT liner material, brownish late war recycled wool, good size markings
          but no SS-BW stamp which is OK. It does look something was removed? RBNr???
          Anyway IMO it's a legit M44. When the collar tabs were applied is anybody's guess but I like it.

Close up of this area? I don't think it is an erased SS-BW stamp as those are bigger...removed RBNr??? The tunic is real IMO.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NickG; 06-12-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

tunic

Cant say I have ever seen a 2 piece collar like that but does look to be original, WH depot stamp clearly rubbed out as Nick has indicated, post war replaced SS insignia.

Comment

Original jacket , original badges but IMO the badges came later on the jacket ?
              Nick

Comment

Thank you all very much for help an chiming in

Comment

The insignia could be period applied, but with most of these M44s it's unlikely. The sewing is good enough for period, though. Sleeve eagle looks a bit high on the sleeve for factory application but insignia appears original and correctly applied.

I'd check hard for signs of a removed breast eagle and traces of previous collar insignia. If you can't detect any after a real good look, then that's a positive sign as they left the factory with those.

The most uneasy aspect of the jacket is the obliterated marking. That's collector tampering no matter how you slice it, and the jacket has been meddled with. Could be nothing more than adding the shoulderboards and "cleaning up" the RBN, but you just don't know.

Looks like a good size and nice representative piece.

s/f Robert

Comment

tunic

I've seen them without the collar tabs and eagle so not really, one did not even have the epaulette loops either.

Comment

jacket, insignia all good but would bet post-war applied....still a nice piece!

Comment

That eagle sure looks like it's factory applied.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X