SS poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS poster

Thoughts on this gents would be appreciated, seems ok ??
    Attached Files

Here is a known original for comparison.
    Attached Files

Comment

Now looking at the two, I do not think the first poster is an original.

Comment

Hi,

this one is 100 % original, the glass and the hidden borders may be tricky at the first sight.

Only one (very) bad fake/repro is known, check below.

See You

Vince
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wolfslair44 View Post
          Here is a known original for comparison.
          This is the image from Hermann Historica isn't it....?

I am not so sure the one in the frame is an original, the artwork differences from that of the one Scott posted are easy to spot...

Comment

I have seen other fakes of this poster, although they lack the printers details and the paper is modern and easy to spot the fake aged look.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Wünsche View Post
              This is the image from Hermann Historica isn't it....?

I am not so sure the one in the frame is an original, the artwork differences from that of the one Scott posted are easy to spot...
              Vince - You are our resident expert in all things French SS, so maybe you have the source selling or have seen it? Hope you are doing well, my friend.

Christian - Hope all is well with you also! Yes, I believe the image was saved from HH. That was my impression as well, the colours do not look as striking and it looks 'off' to me. If linen-backed/restored, it sometimes changes the colouring. It could also be the glass, which is why we need to see more photos. All that said, looking at it just behind the glass with this one photo I would not be comfortable purchasing it.

Scott

Comment

All good here mate...

The clouds in the background on the framed poster are the first giveaway... Definitely not an original.

Comment

Even though a reproduction- it’s a nice one.

Comment

Hi,

sorry for my late reply, too many things to do today (yes Chris i'm okay, a bit of exhausted ahah).

Hmmmm to me the poster is original, only the picture is not very good and the light different.

Below is lot 8871 from HH 67 (Pierre-Ange Caravano collection).
                    Different lightning, and the clouds details are similar.

See You

Vince
                    Attached Files

Comment

Unless someone has savaged the border and cut it off, as I see a white line down the right hand side which leads me to believe that it has been trimmed down to fit in the frame... Sacrilege... Whoever did that should have their hands cut off!

That image that Vince has poster was the one from HH that I was thinking of, it too has had some severe weathering which has made the detail fade. So it could be in similar condition although I would want it out of the frame and closeups to be sure.

The French did many large size 'grande' posters and this one was not different!
                      I just noticed how many fold lines the one in the frame has as I had earlier thought it looked way too small. Definitely get some out of the frame shots... If it has been cropped as I suspect then that kills the value with the printers details gone.

Another surfaced that was donated to a museum in the past year. What a waste...
                      Attached Files

Comment

The one in the frame appears to lack what I would think is the artists signature / initials, in RED, located at the top right hand corner.

The HH poster conveniently does not have this due to damage to that area of the poster, although all other originals have this mark.

Looks like 'pja'.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

interesting points by Christian.

Kyle, do you think that you may get better pictures, and maybe even pictures of the poster taken outside of the frame/glass ?

This is an important topic, the overall colors of the poster looks very convincing to me.

If the glossy repro made by Europsurplus can be difficult to check from a picture, to date i never knew of a "good" repro of this French SS poster...

See You

Vince

Comment

Hi,

the repro i was speaking of is of course the famous "H'O'CH" poster (not the one we are currently discussing).

See You

Vince

Comment

Thanks gents

I am awaiting one more piece of info, I now believe this poster is 100% real . I was not sure at the time and have missed out it has sold...aaaargh

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X