HJ SS dog tag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJ SS dog tag?

Can anyone identify the specific unit of this dog tag?
    (this came from the estate of a U.S. 95th division veteran who had it taped into a photo album. I was able to remove all of the tape but as you can see it left an outline of where it was)

the front reads: 2./Pz.Pi.Btl.12HJ

the back reads: W.-SS

- Is this unit the 2nd Pazer division , 12th HJ Pioneer Batalion?

- Is there anything special or overly desireable about this particular dog tag?

- this is staying in my collection but can anyone give an estimate on value?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sammy t.
    Attached Files

any info on this?

Sammy T.

Comment

Hi Sammy, the way I read that is 2nd Company, Panzer Pionier Battalion of the 12th SS Panzer Division 'Hitler Jugend'.

Here is the make-up of a typical SS Panzer Division ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organi...anzer_Division

As you see there were usually 3 companys of Panzer Pioniers in an armoured Pioneer battalion or 'Panzerpionierabteilung' (PzPiAbt)

Ian

Comment

Ian, thanks for taking the time to review and providing info.

Would you know if a dog tag of this particular division has any more or less collectability or desirability? Would there be anything special or unique about it?

Sammy T

Comment

Sorry, I don't collect these but 'HJ' seems to have a certain glamour to some so will be very collectable I'm sure ... possibly (as with your cut-off) find out where the guy served and that may help.

Ian

Comment

Well, for what it is worth; usually dog tags were issued early during the service, why most dog tags you see belong to a replacement and training battalion (ausbildungs Und ersatz, AuE-units). This often makes it quite difficult to actually say something about the guy having worn the tag, since he can have been shuffled through a number of training units, and then a number of field units, still retaining the same tag. I have seen notifications in verlust-listen for soldiers I have researched who have Luftwaffe/Heer tags still listed, despite having been transferred to SS units, or retaining the tags issued within a SS training unit years later when having served in a number of frontline units and different schools. Such tags are often difficult to research; if you find it in a specific area, you might be able to tie it to a certain unit, or if you are lucky you might have the casualty lists and can trace it from there.

A dog tag with a actual combat formation is much more interesting, especially from a unit such as the 12. SS-Pz-Div "HJ" (remember it served in Normandy and the Ardennes, where some seem to think the whole war was fought). If you have the slightest clue where this tag was picked up, you should be able to research it quite detailed just based on some books; either on company, or at least Bataillon Level. You might not be able to trace it to a certain soldier, but you will definitly be able to do some research on the battalion and company; commanding officers, platoon leaders, decorated soldiers and important battles.

Good luck, would love to have it in my collection and research it!

Comment

Lasse L, thanks for the info on dog tags, this is certainly a new area for me and I don't know anything about them. you're info was a great help.

As far as the U.S.Veteran, I have his name, service number, division, regiment and company. The family member said he did tell stories of fighting in the battle of the buldge so it may be possible that's where it was picked up at.

Sammy t.

Comment

I think you’ve now solved to whom the cutoff SS M43 cap insignia belongs to..Always keep them together !!!Billbert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X