Book: Neiderlander in der Waffen-SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book: Neiderlander in der Waffen-SS

Gentlemen, I am in need of some assistance. Has anyone seen one of these books before and what can you tell me about when they were produced? I believe it to be of pre-1945 origin, but I'm not positive.

The book consists of 31 single sided pages with a comb binding. Each page has one to three simulated photographs and the entire page is a photograh. I do not remember seeing any of the pictures before. The cover is black cloth over cardboard with some sort of thin padding and “Niederlander in der Waffen – SS” printed in silver. All verbiage is in German, not Dutch. I see no publisher beyond the “stamp” inside the front cover which seems to be printed rather than an ink stamp.

The notes at the top of the inside cover look to be written in ink, not felt tip marker. The name and date at the bottom are in ball point pen, so they were added later.

Nothing glows when exposed to blacklight.

The backs of each page are marked Agfa Brovira with no underlines, which I believe is a legitimate wartime marking. The pages are about 19.7cm x 27cm (7¾” x 10⅝”) which does not match up to DIN sizes or to US standard sizes.

The comb binding system was developed in 1932 in Italy, so it was certainly known in Europe during WWII. The comb in this book differs from modern combs in design. Modern combs have square bottoms with a slight radius in each corner. This comb has rounded bottoms.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

Alen Davidson
    Attached Files

A couple more pages: The second picture shows the faint Agfa Brovira inscriptions on the reverse of each page.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

interesting photo album.

The guys are Dutch SS from the "Westland" Standarte, created and in training in München. The Standarte was created on August 1st, 1940.

As you may know, Dutch SS were included in various units through the war.
      "Westland" was one of the regiment of the "Wiking", but another Standarte was created on April 10, 1941, the "Nordwest" of Hamburg (for Flemish and Dutch volunteers).
      After the invasion of the Soviet Union, a national legion was created for the Netherlands, the "Legion Niederlande". The "Nordwest" Standarte will be disbanded, and the Dutch volunteers will be drafted in the "Legion Niederlande".
      The "Legion" will become at the end of the war the "Nederland" division.
      Other "local" NSB members will be drafted in the "Wachbataillon Nordwest", but also the "Landwacht Nederland" regiment (that will became also a division).

Pictures should date from late 1940-early 1941.

What is pictured on the other pages of the album ? München training ?

Maybe the album was done by SS (German) instructors, or for the Germanische Leitstelle (recruitment of foreign volunteers in the Waffen-SS).

Can you show us a close up of the stamp ?

See You

Vince

Comment

Vince,

Thank you for your reply. I hadn't thought about the possibility that it was put together by the instructors. It certainly is a possibility.

First of all, let me emphasize that each page of the book is a photograph, possibly of the original album. The pictures are not separate.

Your information on the history of the Dutch in the WSS is of course correct.

I am hesitent to show the rest of the pages, but the other pictures are of training, sport, what I believe to be a museum in Munich, etc.

Helmets shown are double decal M35 or M40. Overseas caps are the SS-VT style with field gray totenkopf buttons and ME eagle on wool triangle sewn to the left side, so your time frame is correct.

I've attached a blowup of the "stamp" it seems to be for the post office in Gifhorn, and some sort of a pension office. Hope this helps.

Al
        Attached Files

Comment

Some assistance. Inside cover looks like it says 'found in Aachen, Germany' and at the bottom someone's name and '1944'. Aachen is located on the borders of Belgium and the Netherlands, so 'finding' it there and in 'German rather than Dutch' does make some sense. Aachen fell to the Allies in October '44. Not sure if you can do a search of the person's name to see if he served? May also help if he was in the battle of Aachen. Keep us posted.

Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X