Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Oberschutze rank pip for review

This came in a lot I bought recently.

It is certainly black fabric (or dirty brownish-black I guess) (One picture is against a black background) and measures 55mm wide (This is the correct diameter as I understand it).

Thoughts are most appreciated!
    Attached Files

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Comment

This looks like a good one. Can be panzer. Very Common. The Original tropical ones are being used for re-enactment and putting your glas on it for no stains, because of the common.

Comment

TBH . . .
        These have been done to death . . .
        So who knows ?
        Regards David

Comment

Originally posted by Stossgruppe3 View Post
          TBH . . .
          These have been done to death . . .
          So who knows ?
          Regards David
          Done to death as to whether it is Panzer or SS I assume?

Either way, as long as it's not phony I don't mind displaying it.

Comment

I beg to differ,

In over 40 years of collecting I have only ever picked up two Oberschutze pips on a black wool backing.

Not common or even easy to find but out there if you persevere to obtain one

As far as tropical Oberschutze pips being so plentiful that we can squander them ? It all depends what type of twill and shade of twill they are embroidered onto. Any from 1940 or early 1941 can be hard to find. I do not rate those found on an HBT backing as tropical are easier to find than one on twill,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
              I beg to differ,

In over 40 years of collecting I have only ever picked up two Oberschutze pips on a black wool backing.

Not common or even easy to find but out there if you persevere to obtain one

As far as tropical Oberschutze pips being so plentiful that we can squander them ? It all depends what type of twill and shade of twill they are embroidered onto. Any from 1940 or early 1941 can be hard to find. I do not rate those found on an HBT backing as tropical are easier to find than one on twill,

Chris

Chris,

What is the backing on my example?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth2a View Post
                Chris,

What is the backing on my example?
                Hard to say based on only an image on a computer monitor. Also different cameras/ monitors and settings can produce variation in shades of colour seen. It is one of those things you have to hold in hand to be sure.

However, black hues can vary for Panzer uniforms. Below is a casual picture of 3 panzer M43 caps photographed at the same time under that same lighting conditions. All are Heer examples. All have the original trap on them, factory machine applied. You should be able to see 3 different colour hues.

On the viewers right (bottom row) is the Pz. black with blue hue (KM/ LW type Pz. wool ?)

The center cap (sitting on top) is the type of WH black wool I would expect i.e. coal black

On the viewers left (bottom row) is a late war example of rougher recycled wool Pz. black but with a late war brown hue to it.

It was a war, they were using what ever supplies of cloth they could get. Also dye vat colours can vary a bit at the best of times. Due to bombing, this had become very challenged by 1944 and on into 1945,

Chris
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 90th Light; 05-23-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X