Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TK rings: last challenge (pictures & links)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
    Do we than agree that (see post 9) the video is wrong in stating that the rings were cast in a complete round circle and were not joined with silver solder? The ring in post 9 shows what I was on about... they probably WERE joined by silver solder.

Chris,
    I think you are totally missing the point of the conversation.
    The rings were cast in the round i.e. they were a complete circle when cast.

If the wearers finger was smaller than the cast size, they would cut the ring and remove some of it then solder it back together to suit the wearers finger size.
    If the ring was cast and it was already the wearers finger size then no cut was made in the ring band as it didn't need to be resized.
    Hence the reason some rings do not have a seam as they didn't need to be resized at all. The ones with a soldered seam are the rings that needed to be resized.

Nothing more, nothing less

Comment

Originally posted by Sonderkommando View Post
      …….the rings were cast in the round i.e. they were a complete circle when cast.

If the wearers finger was smaller than the cast size, they would cut the ring and remove some of it then solder it back together to suit the wearers finger size.
      If the ring was cast and it was already the wearers finger size then no cut was made in the ring band as it didn't need to be resized.
      Hence the reason some rings do not have a seam as they didn't need to be resized at all. The ones with a soldered seam are the rings that needed to be resized.

An interesting point of view nothing more, nothing less

Ric

Comment

Originally posted by Sonderkommando View Post
        Chris,
        I think you are totally missing the point of the conversation.
        The rings were cast in the round i.e. they were a complete circle when cast.

So they cast them already joined for the 10% of guys where X-Large fit, and for all the others they resized?

I do not think that it logical.... what is the point of doing a complete circle ring, and then cutting it for guys who need a smaller ring? They would have to have done them in X-Large as adding to a ring would have been even harder. What do you do with a complete circle if a guy needs a bigger one?

I see no proof that points to rings being cast as complete circles ... if anything it would simply make things way more complicated and the complete circle castings would only fit a small % of the recipients?

From what I can see the main thing lacking here are hard facts.... we are all tossing theories into the pot.... and all of them are possible.... but noone has any facts?

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
          Chris, almost all the rings show sizing seam.
          The video is about 1 ring that doesn't show it. .

That is why I am weary of the videos... all of them show observations... then jump to conclusion with the facts... I got the feeling the video maker was of the firm opinion that because he see no seam... all rings were made in a complete circle. It is such jumping to assumptions that we need to be careful of.

I spoke to a silversmith this afternoon. In his opinion using a flat cast to make a ring is no problem at all.

Maybe there are silversmiths here on the forum who can add to this from a practicle point of view.

I respect all the opinions we are reading, but we are all just arguing what we think is logical. I think all theories here are POSSIBLE... but that brings us no further to proving anything.....

Comment

Chris what do you make of the picture showing the engraving across the seam?
            Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X